Share |
Atlas Sit up VS Military Sit up

01-13-2010, 12:52 PM

Hey guys,
I know a lot of guys here have experience on both forms of sit ups. Can anyone tell me what advantages/disadvantages each sit up variation has, and if one is possibly superior to the other?

Thanks!

Share |

Author

01-13-2010, 01:23 PM

hello Ali,

I personally think that Atlas Sit-Up is without equal when it comes to decompressing the spine. Just being in gravitational environment causes a downward pull on the spine 24/7. The Atlas Sit-Up compensates for this in a big way. Some men even become taller as a result. And no, I'm not joking.

---John Peterson

Share |

Banned

01-13-2010, 01:48 PM

Ali the Military sit up has changed over the years; at one time it was much closer to an Atlas sit up. Now it looks more like a crunch and you'll notice in the photo's they keep the feet on the floor and knees bent; some photo's someone holds the feet down. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...it+ups&spell=1 The older Military sit ups started with the hands above the head on the floor, legs down and held straight like an Atlas sit up; you did a sit up and touched your toes. Not exactly an Atlas sit up but close and offering more strech than now used. The Military will change it over the years to come and might return to something closer to an Atlas sit up.

Share |

01-13-2010, 01:51 PM

MikeNY,
That was the first thing I noticed, I dindt know that you were allowed to hold down ones feet during the sit ups. I wonder why they changed it

Share |

Banned

01-13-2010, 03:51 PM

Ali my guess is bad research. I recall reading Doctor's came to the conclusion that situps were bad for you after testing, but many of the test subjects were weight lifters. That was why the crunch and crunch variations became so popular. I think the crunch works but it does not give you the range of motion nor the strech of the Atlas situps.

Share |

01-13-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post

...Some men even become taller as a result. And no, I'm not joking.

---John Peterson

So there is still some hope for me!

Share |

Legacy Member

01-14-2010, 02:08 AM

not only is the atlas sit-up great for the spine, but it is also wonderful at enhancing overall flexibility .

Getting fit not only requires strength and determination, but the discipline to do what is necessary to reach your goals.

Share |

Tags
atlas sit-ups