Share |
Sit-ups, and pulling abs to the spine

03-28-2010, 09:28 PM

In ab exercises such as the Atlas Full Range Sit-up and The Atlas Full Range Leg Raise, I can start off with my abdominals pressing hard towards the spine, but when I rise up beyond a certain point they "pop out" to about level with my ribs. Is this less than ideal, or does it happen even for the warriors like John?

In the Atlas Full Range Leg Raise, if I modify so that my knees are tucked up and only the toes pointed at the floor, I can then straighten my knees upwards before bringing the legs towards my head, while keeping the abs pressed in hard for much longer.

The reason I ask about this is that physiotherapists (or physical therapists as I think they're called in the USA) have told me to only go as far as I can while keeping the abs pressing right in, even though it makes for a short movement. I don't know if that was just because I wasn't ready for harder movements, or they wanted to focus on particular muscles that I needed to strengthen first, or if they were giving advice I was meant to follow forever.

I'm tall and thin, and prone to lower back problems. It's getting better with the back and ab exercises, but I want to treat it right.

(Btw I'm careful to come up very slowly and steadily, rather than "throwing" myself at any stage. I also put my hands on the side of the head or reaching towards my toes, so I can't pull on my head.)

Thanks - I'm finding the exercises fantastic, and these forums very helpful.

Share |

04-06-2010, 03:21 AM

I'm sticking with doing these with my abs drawn in. This means I'm doing very easy versions of any ab exercises, but with the abs drawn in, even these make for intense exercise.

I notice that if do any form of sit-up that involves raising my head and shoulders quickly makes a clicking sound in my upper back. It's a soft click, but all the same, I'm now doing any such exercise in slow motion, to avoid it!

Share |

04-06-2010, 11:14 PM

I'm no physical therapist, but I'm thinking what happens is that at some point in the movement the Atlas Situps recruit the rectus abdominis (the showy six-pack abs that everyone wants). The rectus abdominis tend to stick out, while the other abdominal muscles more responsible for "core strength" and stability do not. The rectus abdominis are not as important for core strength and thus less likely to be emphasized by a physical therapist.

Or at least that's my non expert opinion...anyone with more expertise want to confirm or correct me?

p.s. Going slow is a great idea whenever there is a unusual popping or bit of pain that you want to investigate more carefully and safely.

Last edited by duff; 04-06-2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: added PS

Share |

Tags
abs, situps