Share |
Tiger Bend Squats and running

Legacy Member

03-29-2010, 05:18 AM

First off, I'm a horrible runner. I'm not just slow, I AM slow but I'm just not good at it either. I pull things or get shin splints or cramps. And I've always been that way. One reason I use to think fitness was beyond my grasp was because I was such a horrible runner. I was really thrilled with The Miracle 7 when I first read it because it gave me "permission" to skip the running.

Still people always ask me for running advice. I guess they just assume that I am a runner. So I've worked on my running from time to time. I've gotten a few books, tried some steady running practice. It always come out the same, no good.

For awhile there I was where I could run 3 miles fairly consistently. I'm so bad at running that I rarely timed myself, if I could just run the 3 miles without having to stop and walk for some reason, then I was happy. Who cares how long it took! It was never my breath that left me short it was always my legs.

About a year ago, I think it was right when G.U.T.S. came out, I finally ditched running for good. With regular TBS, I figured I'd get in plenty of cardio. So I haven't ran in quite awhile.

With the weather changing I thought it would be nice to go for a jog/walk this morning. But an odd thing happened along the way, I ran my regular 3 mile course with no need to stop and walk at all. As a matter of fact, it was probably my easiest run ever and that's including when I was running regularly. Legs never ached or cramped and my shins never began to scream out in pain.

I've got to imagine that it's the TBS that have made all the difference.

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

03-29-2010, 06:05 AM

Hey Joe,

Got a question for you related to TBS and G.U.T.S. I just recently picked up G.U.T.S. (Wow, amazingly well written and put together book, as well as extremely elegant and professional).. anyway.. here goes.

The program is a timed program.... with xx alloted to the TBS (or the alternate) when you started out the program could you do xx minutes of TBS or did you run out of steam before the time alloted and shorten your program?

I just started my 6 week program on Saturday and have been doing the alternate knowing that I could not blast away for xx minutes doing the TBS.

Thanks
-Jon

Share |

Legacy Member

03-29-2010, 06:42 AM

Isn't G.U.T.S. great? It's so simple and well made, yet gives you everything you need for over the top fitness!

I currently can't hit the elite level of TBS in G.U.T.S. I can get around 250. What I did and continue to do is set a timer and then do sets. When I started I did sets of 10 and today I do sets of 25. So I'll do one set, take a few deep breaths and then do another set. When the timer goes off, I add the all up.

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

03-29-2010, 06:57 AM

Jon,

You might want to try my 2x23rd Variation. Several folks have told me that it really helped them out.

-Joe

Share |

Author

03-29-2010, 08:34 AM

Hey Friends,

Joe has nailed it. The Tiger Bend Squat, and the Step Up have more carry over in terms of enhancing one's running ability than all other exercises. Particularly the Tiger Bend Squat. In fact, let me make a point. These two exercises stretch and strengthen the muscles and stabilize the ligaments, and tendons of the hips, knees, and ankles more than any others. Performing both of these exercises on alternate days will virtually cure shin splints. Naturally there are many other exercises that one can do that will also benefit one's running but I know from personal experience that these two offer the most benefit for the avid runner of any exercises one can do.

BUT let me also make another necessary point. DO NOT assume that squatting faster than 20-25 reps to the minute automatically equates to more benefit because it does NOT. The Tiger Bend Squat must be completed at a steady rate of speed that allows for complete control of muscular movement in both directions, The reps must be smooth with no jerkiness or bouncing at the bottom. When performed this way the ligaments and tendons will be protected by supportive muscle structure. So remember to do your repetitions as smoothly as possible.

---John Peterson

Share |

03-29-2010, 09:44 AM

Hey All,

I have not run since overstretching my achilles tendon about a month ago while doing a mountainous run-bike-run race.
I faired well but conditions were terrible, rain and in the 40s.I had a touch of hypothermia and tendon started hurting the last half mile.

Anyway, I have been doing more GUTS workouts and usually get in 300 tbs during the timelimit. I have been doing this 3-5 times a week along with all the other stuff plus cycling. My legs feel great and strong and I realize I need to do these once I start back.

Also need to get my distance kids doing more leg strength, we do step ups and some other leg exercises. Our season is in full swing so fresh legs are a must at this time of the season.

I feel doing step ups, tbs or bw squats, and lunges should always be a part of your training during the week.

My wife has started doing squats while holing on to a pole, she has knee issues and we got her doing this GUTS stuff too.

Monty

Share |

03-29-2010, 11:09 AM

I've been doing squats lately. I did them several years ago religiously every day, 200, limited only by boredom. Right now I'm doing just a single set, stopping early around 50 - 80, before boredom. I've also been chasing the soccer ball now and then, as you all now from my wildly popular thread a few days ago.

Yesterday we went out and hit the ball around. I like going outfield and running after the balls. After two, three hours of that (at baseball pace) we quit. My quads still felt good and I assume that is because of the squats, as Joe said. My hamstrings were starting to turn to jelly and any more I could have done my usual strain, tear, or spasm thing. I stopped in time and feel fine today. Squats and recreational running are a good combination.

Also as I've mentioned before, one mind trick I used on the squats was to count in fours, 1231, 1232, 1233, etc. That way 80 squats is only 20. 20 is a piece of cake.

Tom

Share |

03-29-2010, 02:25 PM

tom
i like the count idea. why didnt i think of it before seeing how thats the only way the army knows how to count for cals. only 1231= 2 reps but it takes the mind off the actual act of counting reps and counting a rythum, im gonna try it this evening....to bad theres not a trick for tricking the leg muscles into not being sore after doing twice the normal number......or is there dun dun dun......lol

Share |

03-29-2010, 03:35 PM

Thanks, Armor. It was an ex-Army friend who taught me to count like that.

Tom

Share |

Legacy Member

03-29-2010, 05:45 PM

Joe, about a month ago I went for a 3 mile run myself, and I was not breathing hard or cramping upmyself, I really believe that since I started G.U.T.S that , for myself I get all the cardio I need form G.U.T.S., and another great thing about the cardio in the G.U.T.S program is it is easy on the knees, later this week I am going to attempt to do 400 TBS squats in my G.U.T.S routine, I will post it when I do it.

Share |

Tags
g.u.t.s., running