Share |
Less is MORE: Is it 24 or 72?

Author

08-30-2018, 06:07 PM

Hello Everyone,

I want to address an issue that each of you will face in the near future when you start training with the new Isometric Power Belt.

Without doubt there will be many of you that will feel your strength surging as a result of the new Living Strength Isometric Power Belt Training System. Some of you will be performing 6 or 7 or maybe even 8 exercises of the 3-stage contraction protocol at 3 angles each for a total of 18 to 24 contractions in a workout. Granted, some people have written me and stated that each 3-stage contraction is in fact 3 contractions---which means that you'd be multiplying 18 to 24 contractions by 3 so that in other words you'd be doing 54 to 72 contractions. (I won't argue the point but I regard Solytrain's protocol as an 18 second contraction in 3-stages) each day and because of it you will feel so good that you will think you should be adding more exercises and contractions.

In a word: DON'T. At least not until you've been preforming Isometrics for several months and become fully aware of how many contractions at maximum intensity your CNS can handle on a daily basis.

You MAY be able to handle 36 contractions of 12 exercises X 3 Angles performed with the 3-stage 5-6-7 protocol on an EVERY OTHER DAY basis. This would require a good 36 minutes if you are performing the last 7 seconds at 100% intensity. BUT in order to train daily you may have to cut it back to just 6 or 7 exercises at 3 angles each. Example: Sometimes when I am in the mood I'll do a Pressing workout in which I perform all 4 Pressing movements at 5 or 6 angles instead of 3 performing each with the 3 stage Solytrain Protocol. My breathing, ability to contract at maximum intensity and sense of total body awareness and muscle control is at the highest of my entire life 4 X 5 or 6 contractions equates to 20 to 24 contractions that each achieve maximum intensity and each is performed as a Full Body Isometric Contraction. it takes me 20 minutes to perform 5 angles on each of the 4 Pressing movements and about 24 minutes to perform 6 angles. The thing that is amazing is that I am always tempted to do more at the end of my workout because I feel so strong but I DON'T because even if I perform only 1 additional exercise at 6 angles it over stresses my CNS and I have to take an entire day off in order to recover. YOU have to learn to stop when you still feel like you want to do 'just one more.' Trust me on this or learn the hard way like I have.

Bottom line: I train daily because I feel incredibly strong when I do. Every other day doesn't feel right for ME. 24 minutes daily is pushing to the edge of the edge. 20 Minutes is about my "feel good" daily limit.

The key to best possible results with Isometric Contraction is to master the INTENSITY of the contraction itself and it is true whether you contracting against an immovable force or object (power rack or Isometric Power Belt) or whether you are performing maximum Full Body Isometric Power Flexes as developed by Dr Bruno Kiveloff in which you are just flexing your muscles to the absolute maximum against nothing else.

I'm guessing that the vast majority of you will discover that 15 to 20 Minutes with daily Isometrics is a perfect prescription for feeling super-charged all the time and and fully alive. You will feel your strength surging but more than that might deplete your Central Nervous System so that you don't recover quickly enough for each and every day. BUT TRUST ME ON THIS---YOU WILL LEARN---AND YOU WILL KNOW YOURSELF!

Remember: Coach James Baley was adamant about 25 Minutes with an Isometric Power Belt being more result producing than 2+ hours with barbells and dumb bells. AND he was also just as adamant in stating that the key is to achieve Maximum iNTENSITY Contractions that lasted at least 6 seconds though he had some athletes that he told me that had developed the Super Human ability to perform up 12 seconds at continuous maximum contraction when they trained every other day. Personally, I am a strong advocate of Solytrains 5-6-7 Isometric Protocol. I never in my life achieved the level of INTENSITY or the results that I have had with Soly's method following any other protocol that I have achieved with Soly's.

I'm looking forward to many discussions as you men take up Isometric and experience the extraordinary for yourselves.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

08-31-2018, 07:42 AM

Great point John!

I think many of us get so hell-bent on progress that we don’t actually think things through, particularly when it comes to exercise and exertion.

This immediately reminds me of something one of my senior instructors said years ago. It was in regards to students trying to “speed” through the belts. Sure, they can perform the necessary forms and techniques. However, there is/was a good chance they may be mediocre at best. The “quote” he said was “work the belt”. I can’t remember how, or even if, he elaborated. But, I’ve always taken that to mean we should get the most “training” out of each belt. It’s better to be a great blue belt than a “so-so” black belt.

To segue into this post….

With many exercises, there gets to be a point where we think/feel we can do “more”. That may be by adding reps, or making the exercise more difficult. Often, if we stick with what we are doing and how, we can still get more benefit out of it. Then, we’ll be in a better position to advance, with less chance of injury and/or burnout.

Rob

Share |

08-31-2018, 09:16 AM

Right now I am performing 7 exercises with an average of three angles each, using the 5-6-7 protocol. I doubt I could add additional exercises without stressing my CNS too much. I usually precede this with two sets of Miracle-7, 8 reps each exercise at fairly high intensity and five minutes of warmup on the rebounder. Even this routine sometimes requires I skip a day, but generally this really energizes me for anything the day brings. I have had adrenal issues which necessitated a dietary change, including giving up coffee. I’ve had to really monitor stresses to my CNS. I’ve found the isometric exercises to be most effective and most tolerable. To wit, recently we hauled and stacked 200 bales of hay. I was a bit concerned how I would hold up in this task as I have cut way down on my push-ups reps. But, I was tossing the bales of hay much easier than in times passed. It surprised me a great deal! Looking forward to the new, enhanced belt protocol!

Share |

Author

08-31-2018, 10:00 AM

Hello 'Black Belt' and 'No Bite',

You men are both spot on. Thank You.

And 'No Bite' I am not surprised in the least that your Isometrics have given you this 'upsurge' in strength . It's happened to me too. I only do a fraction of the Push-Ups and movement based exercises that I used to do and my daily practice of Isometrics has had the same effect with me. It's almost unbelievable how much stronger and more enduring I am at a lighter body weight.

---John Peterson

Share |

08-31-2018, 05:59 PM

No Bite,

Your bales of hay lifting reminds me of something that I think is in one of Steve Justa's book. He once had a job lifting bales of hay and he found that his heavy weight lifting did zilch for him in terms of handling that job. But he found that isometric training did help him, a lot! I don't know what protocol he was using but what he described was definitely isometrics.

Michael

Share |

Author

09-01-2018, 07:20 AM

Hello Michael,

Good point. I personally think this has everything to do with the direct strengthening of the muscles without compression of the spine. Exercises that cause spinal compression compromise nerve force delivery.

---John Peterson

Share |

09-02-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Bloomer View Post
No Bite,

Your bales of hay lifting reminds me of something that I think is in one of Steve Justa's book. He once had a job lifting bales of hay and he found that his heavy weight lifting did zilch for him in terms of handling that job. But he found that isometric training did help him, a lot! I don't know what protocol he was using but what he described was definitely isometrics.

Michael
What got me hooked on first Matt F. and for over the past decade John's protocols is the concept of functional fitness. I am 11 months younger than John. We live in the country with horses and dogs and love to ride and hike in the woods. There is a fair amount of upkeep to our animals and small farm. I exercise solely to make it easier to enjoy our life to the fullest. Hauling and stacking hay is nothing I look forward to, but this time it was easier than usual and all I've changed in my exercise routine is replacing some pushups with isometrics. I am enjoying the change! I also enjoy trail rides more when I'm fit. This is the best endorsement I can give of what John is teaching here!

Share |

Legacy Member

07-15-2019, 08:35 AM

John,
Question about the 3 stage protocol ( 34 exercises turns this into 102 exercises) , seem like it would be too much?

So I'm starting to go back today to Isometric Power Rev. Varying my 3 day workout cycle as prescribed on page 212. Integrating the belt for the exercises that lend themselves easily

Cycle 1
Day 1- Angle A, Day 2, Angle B etc..
Cycle 2
Day 1 5 Neck, 3 Bicep... Day 2 4 Shoulder etc..
Cycle 3
Power Flex ( Separating body parts by day 1,2,3)

Rinse and Repeat the process.

Last edited by gbjj; 07-15-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Share |

Author

07-15-2019, 11:51 AM

Hello GBJJ,

Great observation!

The fact is that I have now been doing Power Belt Isometrics long enough to know for myself where the edge of the playing field is---AND the fact is that it changes from day to day---EVERY DAY.

Some days I am much stronger and more energized than others.

Some days I am capable of far more than others.

Let me give you an example. I do my Isometric routine performing a maximum 24 to 36 contractions though usually do 12 to 24 contractions using the 3-stage contraction (4 to 6 exercises X 3-stage contraction) I've done some days splitting Isometrics into AM and PM Workouts and there have been a few times that I have so overextended my CNS that I have had to skip a day in order to recuperate.

Bottom line: Nothing brings you to a level of self-knowledge quite like Isometric Contraction.

From my experience, I can tell you that 36 contractions total is all that I can do on any given day. That can be a total of 12 exercises X 3 Angles each held for one 7 second contraction OR 12 exercises at One angle each performed for a 3 stage contraction. I know my limit...it's from 24 to 36. This morning I did four exercises at 3 angles and performed a 3 stage contraction on each for a total of 36 contractions. My energy is not depleted. So far, I feel great.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

07-16-2019, 04:38 AM

Thanks for the follow up John,

I found yesterday that my mind and focus wandered when I got to the Lower Body Iso's ( I thought perhaps I could skip the forearm, and do those at a different time of the day).

Today I'm going to start Backwards and go from that angle and see if my focus or drive is degraded towards the end.

Share |