Share |
Assembling a nutritious lunch

Legacy Member

01-11-2010, 12:00 PM

You know, sometimes I don't think I talk enough about putting together a healthy meal. It's one thing to say, "Eat this and that," but what about building a good meal out of this and that? So, here's a little guideline on putting together a good, nutritious meal for lunch, typically this is what I eat.

I've been using a George Foreman grill here a lot since it got cold out. Whenever it's cold, a hot meal really seems to hit the spot. This same type of meal is what I have in the summer months, though often I don't cook the elements.

First, pick yourself a protein source. You want to build your meal around protein. I used a pouch of Starkist tuna, in this case the zesty lemon, which is really good. To cook it on the grill, I just added an egg to it and mixed it up real well.

Now, let's get a few vegetables to round things out. I have both summer squash and zuccini here, both brushed with a little olive oil and lightly seasoned. I use a seasoning package made for baked potatoes. Squash is a really hardy substitute for potatoes; a cup of squash has only about 40 calories, 3 grams of which are fiber.

Next, throw in some portobello mushrooms, lots of flavor with very few calories and a few sticks of celery; also high fiber and low calorie. And here you have a whole plate full of food that is very light on carbohydrates, high in fiber, vitamins and minerals while being high in protein and flavor.

This is also a very flexible meal. You can easily used chicken or beef in place of the tuna. Try peppers rather than celery. Asparagus instead of squash. There's all kinds of quick and easy combinations you can come up with that'll beat a burger and fries hands down.

I usually cut up all of my vegetables on Sunday night and put them in baggies or Tupperware to get them ready for the week. The just load them all up in my lunch box in the morning and I'm ready to go!

For desert, I like to have some nuts and raisins. This is one of the items I like to measure because they're very high in caloric content, but loaded with nutrition. I usually prepare a weeks worth of nut cups all at once, 1oz nuts (pecans, almonds or walnuts) with 0.5oz raisins.

-Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lunch.jpg (50.8 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by JoeJustice; 01-12-2010 at 06:00 AM. Reason: no squish

Share |

01-11-2010, 01:49 PM

That's excellent Joe!

Very helpful, it should be made into a sticky.

In fact we should have a whole section devoted to nutrition, or at least one big sticky that we could add nutrition ideas or recipe's to...

My 2 centavos anyhow?

Share |

Legacy Member

01-11-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Silva View Post
That's excellent Joe!

Very helpful, it should be made into a sticky.

In fact we should have a whole section devoted to nutrition, or at least one big sticky that we could add nutrition ideas or recipe's to...

My 2 centavos anyhow?
I don't believe in stickies. People tend to ignore them, particularly if they don't change very often. There was a study done, in Sweden I believe, where they experimented with road signs and discovered that the fewer road signs there were the better people drove. When there were too many road signs people would just kind of develop a blind spot for them, like they became background noise. I think stickies are the same way, so the fewer the better.

I do believe I've fallen short in discussing nutrition strategies. I talk a lot about exercise, but I think my experience lends more towards the discussion of nutrition and diet strategies. So I'm going to try to talk a bit more about that in the future. A dedicated forum might not be a bad idea either, we shall see...

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

01-12-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJustice View Post
Squish is a really hardy substitute for potatoes
-Joe
I don't even know how to approach this... I mean, how can squish be hardy, and more so how can something that's squish mash a potato, unless said potato has been boiled for an hour. Oh Joe, you leave so much room for interpretation!

On a more serious note, I believe trying to get yourself a meal or 2 cooked on your day off is a big part of making healthy lunches for during the week. For me this means cooking something I tend to eat repeatedly come dinner (my lunch) time. Pasta sauces are great, especially if you do your meat cooking later to keep it fresh and not have to fridge or freeze it.

Getting fit not only requires strength and determination, but the discipline to do what is necessary to reach your goals.

Share |

Legacy Member

01-12-2010, 04:57 AM

That look delicious Joe
Lunch time over here in Belgium, it's either veggies or pasta ... let you know afterwards.

Jan

Share |

Legacy Member

01-12-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omad0n View Post
I don't even know how to approach this... I mean, how can squish be hardy, and more so how can something that's squish mash a potato, unless said potato has been boiled for an hour. Oh Joe, you leave so much room for interpretation!
D'oh!

-Joe

Share |

01-12-2010, 08:36 AM

Great post, Joe. And hopefully, others will post their ideas / recipes as well.

In the context of planning and preparing meals ahead of time, I want to add that planning your snacks is something that helps me. Having raw almonds, fruit, veggies, etc. on hand helps assure that I won't grab a bag of chips.

"And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm And ye shall know that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed." Joel 2:25, 27

Share |

Legacy Member

01-12-2010, 09:13 AM

Well, I went for the pasta: canelloni with ricola cheese and spinach. Very nice! Kind a heavy on the stomach though.

Jan

Share |

Legacy Member

01-12-2010, 09:21 AM

You got me beat there, Jan. Grains go straight to my belly, so I try to avoid them as much as possible and find good substitutions. Some guys have a beer belly, I have a grain belly

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

01-12-2010, 09:32 AM

Joe,

I find that I stay leaner when I stay away from starches (bread, pasta, potatoes). The only thing that keeps the form on so to speak, is rice. Unfortunately, pasta is sooooo delicious

Jan

Share |

Tags
diet, joe justice, lunch, nutrition