Share |
Assembling a nutritious lunch

Legacy Member

01-13-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc View Post
See, that's why I don't like to talk diet and food.
Everyone has to put in their 2 cents
Donna.... nobody is going to bash you or make fun of you here. You don't need to feel afraid of other people's opinions. You don't have to prove that you're right and everyone else is wrong. That's not what this site is about.

Just offer of your experiences, if someone has something to say, let them say it. If you disagree, then disagree. Please, don't feel any kind of anxiety about posting here. There's no pressure and you just might give someone out there perspective they haven't considered.

-Joe

Share |

01-13-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc View Post
See, that's why I don't like to talk diet and food.
Everyone has to put in their 2 cents
This is nothing compared to people talking about politics and religion.

"Aslan didn't tell Pole what would happen if she followed the signs. He simply told us what to do. This fellow might be the death of us if we loose him, but that doesn't let us off following Aslan's signs."
-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair, Book 4 in The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S.Lewis

Share |

01-13-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJustice View Post
April,

My $0.02 would be that you might want to increase you intake of protein a bit. Meat, beans, nuts; that kind of stuff. Make sure you get plenty of calcium too, that's very important for women as they age. But I believe your diet looks very healthy.

-Joe
Thank you, Joe. I value your opinion at more than $0.02.

"Aslan didn't tell Pole what would happen if she followed the signs. He simply told us what to do. This fellow might be the death of us if we loose him, but that doesn't let us off following Aslan's signs."
-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair, Book 4 in The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S.Lewis

Share |

Legacy Member

01-14-2010, 02:32 AM

funny thing is I agree with Joe about your experiences shaping your food reality. I just don't agree with him on your intake being healthy. However, in my response to you I hope I was clear that YOUR experiences and YOUR contextualization are HUGE factors in the puzzle. Just because what your'e eating doesn't make sense for my lifestyle doesn't mean it's a problem or a concern for yours. What works for some doesn't work for others and that's okay, that's "being your own trainer." We may all be similar in some ways, but we're all very different in others. Donna I'll PM you when I make my attempt at a coherent post on calories and nutrition w/ regards to contextualization.

PS - Joe, you can call me Steve. I promise I won't bite. Though I might thwap you if you say my full name and spell it wrong. (PS - odds are 99 out of 100 people would spell my full name wrong if they simply heard it.)

Getting fit not only requires strength and determination, but the discipline to do what is necessary to reach your goals.

Share |

Legacy Member

01-14-2010, 10:00 AM

HA! Alright, Steve.

Yeah, I'm tracking with you totally. That's why I like to read about different people's experiences. Within all of that information, you'll find things that works for you.

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

01-19-2010, 01:26 PM

Oh and i think I meant that i would let April know, not Donna. Ooopsies! though I am in the process of writing up my fabled post. Until then... live in fear folks... live in fear.

Getting fit not only requires strength and determination, but the discipline to do what is necessary to reach your goals.

Share |

01-19-2010, 08:46 PM

Pasta? Nein!

I grill a roast, or tenderloin, at least once per week. Then, after eating two portions (along with grilled vegetables... NO potatoes or bread!) I cut up the rest, and portion them out into baggies for my lunches.

Also, I always have a tin or two of sardines in my lunch box! Sardines are just about the perfect food... AND, I always have a few baggies of onions and other mixed vegetables, like peppers, onions and tomatoe slices.

I also recently invested in a NUTCRACKER; a really GOOD one, (from Wal-Mart) for about $4.00.
That, and a bowl of ever-present mixed nuts, provided (in additiion to my late supper tonight!) a perfect snack for whenever it is needed.

I have recently eliminated DAIRY from my diet, as it appears that the glycemic load from dairy is equivilent to white bread!

And, white bread equals sugar, equals insulin spike, equals negative nutrtiion!

Oh, also, I buy bags of frozen mixed berries, and put them in a tupperware container (next to the SARDINES!) and top them with a bit of REAL whipped cream! When that puppy thaws out in my truck by lunchtime, it is GREAT! And the satiety value is unsurpassed!

Ironically, it appears high fat dairy, such as butter and cream, is far better for you than skim milk, since the calcium in the milk is dependent on FAT to bind with the calcium to make it available for your body to use.

The low fat diet, overall, as recommended for the past 30 years or so, has been a disaster! It has resulted in:
High (empty)carbs replacing the fat and protein.

Fruits, vegetables, meats, and seafood is what we are genetically programmed to eat!

Flour, beans, pastas (more flour), even including whole grains!, are a nightmare for our bodies, which are built around a hunter-gatherer way of life.

Just my 2 cents, but I believe it whole-heartedly.
J

Share |

Tags
diet, joe justice, lunch, nutrition