Share |
We can drop the line “Abs are made in the kitchen”

03-23-2010, 05:03 PM

If it does not work long-term, find something that does. Your life is long-term.

As I often repeat myself, you will not always work out every day, every week, every phase of your life. But you will eat. Figure it out.

Justin, I take it you are a young man. If that's true, almost every heavy, well-built, or overweight older guy was in your shoes at your age. Stick with the reasonable moderation you find around here, and you will be one of those well-built older guys someday. Keep it up.

I second the distaste for being around someone who is on a visible, announced diet. I try for invisible.

Tom

Share |

Author

03-23-2010, 08:18 PM

Hey taskmaster,

Personally, I have never had a problem adjusting my food intake to achieve the lithe, sculpted look, as well as requisite strength, and fitness that I desire. It's all outlined in my books. However, if I felt that I needed to cut back a thousand calories a day in order to achieve the look that I desire, I'd do it. No question in my mind at all. I'd just do it. Truth is, I have yet to ever meet a man that became fat eating vegetables, fruit and lean protein. The truth is, we all know what we should eat. So the question is, what matters more to me, the pleasure derived from eating the wrong kinds of food or the physique that is the result of the right nutrition and exercise?

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

03-23-2010, 08:46 PM

Just listen to your body and intuition and eat foods that are mostly un-processed and feel right for your activity level and taste. I don't eat the same portions, things, etc. every day. Listen to your 'gut" and trust it. How your body feels and looks will be ALL the feedback you need.
Aloha,
Jim

Share |

Legacy Member

03-24-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskmaster View Post
Guess I'll have to take the unpopular stance here. I am a believer that diet is the bigger part of the equation.Maybe that's because I've always been able to make myself exercise, but the diet aspect has always been the hard part for me. I feel that If I did the workouts I've been doing for the past 1,2 3, etc years, and consumed 1000 fewer calories a day, I'd have exactly the body i wanted.
TM, I don't want to call you on the carpet or anything like that, but you prove my point. John's response is spot on, and I hope everyone reads and understand what he is saying.

I never said "diet doesn't matter" or "diet isn't important" or "exercise is more important that diet" anything like that. Here in your own reply you say you know you could get what you want if you dropped 1,000 calories. It's not the calories, it's the attitude. You know what it takes, you know what would work and what would get you the results you want. Anyone who trains for a period of time and understands their body knows what it takes, they know the discipline required, the challenge is to actually apply that discipline.

It's not about diet vs. exercise it's about doing vs. not doing. And to distill it all down, to make it all a simple little slogan or creed like "It's all your diet" is to miss the big picture and will ultimately fail.

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

03-24-2010, 09:51 AM

Well, don't sweat it, I knew what I said would be misinterpreted. As a matter of fact, I fully expected one or two folks simply read the title, draw a conclusion from that and then reply without really reading what I wrote. I'm being a bit of a provocateur with that title

You see, certain phrases like "Abs are made in the kitchen” or "No pain no gain" are sacred cows in the fitness world. People latch onto them and to question them is akin to blasphemy.

Just be sure to read my initial post and try to understand what I am saying. I don't think I could present it any better and I'm certainly not going to reduce it down to a slogan. The takeaway, if you want it as clear and as concise as possible is simply that life-long health and fitness requires a holistic approach, not a myopic one.

-Joe

Share |

03-24-2010, 02:31 PM

I've always understood the "abs are made in the kitchen" motto to be a response to the mistake many people make, which is to assume that doing thousands of crunches and other ab exercises alone will give them a six-pack. Sure, they will probably end up with a nice set of abs......that are covered up by fat. For most people, a major change in their diet (I use diet in the general sense, not in the "I'm gonna go on a diet and eat like a bird" sense) will likely be needed to reach the bodyfat necessary to have a nice six-pack. But, all of this only reinforces Joe's original point that health and fitness needs to be a holistic endeavour. If one aspect of your life is not conducive to your goals, be it your diet, training, daily habits, etc., you are not going to achieve them.

Share |

Legacy Member

03-24-2010, 02:37 PM

Steve, I'd say you're largely right. Like with a lot of mottoes it probably started out well; basically saying, "You need to eat right as well as exercise." But has turned into a message that says it's all about the diet.

You said something I do find interesting. I can't tell you how many times I've read or heard someone say, "Doing a thousands of sit-ups a day isn't going to give you a six-pack." But honest to God, I've never seen a fat person who does thousands of sit-ups a day.

-Joe

Last edited by JoeJustice; 03-24-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: typo

Share |

Banned

03-24-2010, 05:01 PM

Well said Joe!

I've never seen a guy that did 1000 situps a day also eat 1000 cookies a day. Eat a box of cookies, or two, three, four or even a dozen boxes of cookies a day and you can have a nice roll. I bet that lady that wants to be 1000lbs is also trying to break the world cookies eating record and can eat 1000 cookies a day, the cookie diet might just get her to 1000lbs.

I defy the Wile E. Coyotes to disprove this and eat 1000 cookies a day, in fact one looks he already does that lol.

Share |

03-24-2010, 06:50 PM

Hi Joe,

Interesting thread you've started here!

The problem seems to be when people grab hold of a "good" saying and become dogmatic about it, insisting their way is the only way while losing sight of other possibilities. The reality is our bodies are wonderfully complex and adaptable. No "one size fits all" but likewise many different approaches can yield similar results (the variety within Transformetrics is testament to that).

In everything to do with fitness I challenge myself to be open-minded: I listen to the wisdom of people more experienced than myself, evaluate whether their approach is compatible with my goals, and then try it out for myself. What I avoid doing is telling everyone else that I'm right, they're wrong, and there's only one way to skin a cat .

Cheers,

M.

Share |

03-25-2010, 12:06 AM

There is a strange thing about bad foods: the more you eat of them, the more you want. One piece of chocolate makes you crave more. One salty pretzel makes you crave more. One carbonated drink makes you want more. Anything bad for you makes you crave more. So the best thing to do is apply the principle of Alcoholics Anonymous - NOT ONE BITE of the foods in question. In AA, you are always an alcoholic. They never let you forget your weakness. You have to fight the inclination your whole life (from what I understand about it). You have to go cold turkey. NO SUGAR, NO CHEMICAL DRINKS, NO SALTY SNACKS, NO COOKIES, NO CAKES, NO ICE CREAM, NO WHITE BREAD. PERIOD.

I've been off these things for so long that now when I eat them, they make me feel sick. If I consider eating such things, all I have to do is think of how I will feel afterwards. NO THANKS.

It is the same for overeating. I almost never go out to eat, but at this point I can't ruin the experience by trying to eat everything on the plate. Remember what they say about how portions have grown through the years? Read this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...per23_ST_N.htm

At a sushi bar, you get reasonable portions and will never leave stuffed. But the raw fish thing has me a bit freaked out after helping my son with his term paper on sushi and researching the dangers of parasites. For that, vegetable sushi may be the answer.

As my grandfather used to say, do you live to eat, or eat to live?

"Aslan didn't tell Pole what would happen if she followed the signs. He simply told us what to do. This fellow might be the death of us if we loose him, but that doesn't let us off following Aslan's signs."
-Puddleglum, The Silver Chair, Book 4 in The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S.Lewis

Share |

Tags
diet, joe justice, weight loss