Share |
The Most Popular Gym Is the City Itself

Legacy Member

06-06-2010, 11:20 AM

Joe,
Couldn’t help thinking of you when I read this article:

LOS ANGELES — In Santa Monica, women in skintight yoga pants and sunglasses with lenses the size of lazy Susans trot up and down giant concrete steps. Men who look like they could hoist a Mercedes hang from a telephone pole, and trainers roll out yoga mats in the middle of the sidewalk.

In Silver Lake, guys can be seen using children’s playground equipment to aid them in bicep development, tai chi lovers gather on the campus of the University of California and aerobics happen on random bits of grass downtown.

Its mild climate, the lack of parks in its more dense areas and the propensity here to treat fitness a bit like performance art combine to make Los Angeles a municipal force in the art of improvised exercise. From the wealthy neighborhoods of Brentwood, where a traffic median is used as a track, to tiny parks in low-income neighborhoods downtown, where picnic benches are used for bench presses, the city often looks like one giant outdoor gym.

“The way the city was planned, planners were not able to incorporate the amount of park space it needed,” said Alina Bokde, the executive director of the Los Angeles Neighborhood Land Trust, a nonprofit group that creates parks and community gardens. “So people tend to be very creative with the built-in environment they have.”

Los Angeles is 10th among 13 big cities in the amount of park acres — just under 24,000 — it offers as a percentage of the city’s total area, according to the Trust for Public Land, a nonprofit preservation group. (Yes, New York, you are first, but L.A. still has better asparagus.)

For photos and the rest of the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/06/us/06exercise.html

GB

Share |

Legacy Member

06-06-2010, 11:31 AM

Hi Gary,

This is such a great thread!

I was raised out West.The thing I notice about the East Coast(at least the Northeast) is that people are self conscious about working out-with all these parks! In the West Coast people seem less' hung up'.

Good thread Gary!

peace,
jason

Share |

Legacy Member

06-06-2010, 11:56 AM

That is a great article, I wondering how many steps are in the 4th street stairs in Santa Monica.

Share |

Legacy Member

06-06-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Joe,
Couldn’t help thinking of you when I read this article:

LOS ANGELES — In Santa Monica, women in skintight yoga pants and sunglasses with lenses the size of lazy Susans ....
HEY!!!

-Joe

Share |

Legacy Member

06-06-2010, 01:11 PM

JOE!!!!!!

I was referring to the masterful and ingénues use of the outdoors as your personal gym!!!!

GB

Share |

Legacy Member

06-06-2010, 03:05 PM

A likely story! I've got my eye on you GB!!!

-Joe

Share |