Share |
High School Girl runs 4:32.7 for the Mile/ New US Record

01-28-2013, 10:18 AM

Hi All,

As a fan of track and especailly high school track Mary Cain a high school girl from NY ran a 4:32.7 mile indoors finishing 3rd amongst pros and some college runners.

She broke a 41 year old record with ease. This in my opinion puts her as one of the greatest high school runners male and female of all time. She also ran a 16 minute 5k at Mt Sac in the fall one of the hilliest courses in the US.

I am not sure about her training, though Alberto Salazar is her coach and she does a lot of core work with her own body weight and not high mileage.
This is worth a watch, she is number 3 and her last 100 meters was under 15 seconds, Crazy!!

I have a girl who has run 5 flat and will break 5 here in a few weeks, the girls are fun to coach and are more dedicated than some of the boys.

Enjoy!!

http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/250...-2013-NB-Games

Monty

Share |

01-28-2013, 02:12 PM

Great story. Imagine how fast she'd be if she did GUTS.

Share |

Banned

01-28-2013, 02:37 PM

Nice video, great time, breaking a record!

Our High School Wrestling Coach had his Wrestlers running the Cross Country Course, he believed in building muscular strength and also running for endurance.

Share |

01-29-2013, 11:06 AM

MIkeNY

The wrestling coach where I teach gets kids to run CC for us and also believes in body weight training and no weights.
He says the kids that do BW stuf are stronger and able to move faster. Problem is when old school coaches like him and myself retire, most young guys are brain washed into thinking weights are King. We are seeing it in other sports.

Cubalibre- I agree, not sure she would be much faster cause she obviously has tremendous talent, but if she was doing GUTS her kick and all around strength would be better and it would protect her from injiries which happen to so many girls like this. Time will tell.
I have my kids do GUTS type workouts that last only 10-15 minutes, lots of bang for the buck.

Monty

Share |

Banned

01-31-2013, 12:47 AM

Monty Old School has some good things about. I read what you wrote and thought. Yeah the kids benifit from that old school type of coach.

Our Wrestling Coach also thought weights would slow the guys down and BW exercise make them strong and fast.

Share |

03-12-2013, 02:04 PM

My first post is about track which is great because I love it and it is good to see this on here . The real coincidence is that I have jst bought a copy of The Jim Ryun Story by Cordner Nelson. I looked for it for years but got it from a website that sells books. Pricey but worth it!

Anyway it is amazing that Ryun ran 3.51 in the sixties on cinder tracks whilst at high school.But I am always cautious about high school records because the transition to the big league ( international etc) is tough. Burn out, boredom ,other distractions can take their toll.A solid background with parental support and a sympathetic coach can really help.

Bodyweight exercise seem to complement running very nicely.They just seem natural!

Share |

06-25-2013, 03:48 PM

Mary Cain finished 2nd at the U.S. Outdoor Track and Field Championships this past weekend. You can't help but cheer for her because she seems so pleasant and it's obvious she enjoys what she is doing. Nice to see a young athlete who is very talented and doesn't have a huge ego.

Share |

06-26-2013, 10:12 AM

I agree z-p she is very humble and a world class runner at 17. She has sensible training too. I coach kids like her, not as fast but hard working, humble and coachable.

I really think she is the best high school runner of all time, guy and/orgirl in the US.

Monty

Share |

08-15-2013, 08:29 PM

Mary Cain finished 10th at the World Championships in the 1500m. Not bad for a high schooler. She held her own but it basically came down to lack of experience running against that level of competition in championship races--which is a lot different than running in special meets that have rabbits. Once she gets more experience running in championship type races at that level she is going be spending a lot of time on the podium as long as she's healthy.

Share |