Share |
Walking vs. Running

Legacy Member

06-30-2012, 10:26 AM

Hey Monty,

I've got a question for you. When I was out in KC with students, I noticed that no one could keep up with me. Some of my kids are much faster runners and a couple are taller than I, yet when I got to walking (striding), especially if we had to get somewhere fast, no one could keep up.

In fact, I am pretty slow when it comes to running. I like to run, but speed I have not. So what is the deal? How can I walk much faster, yet run so much slower? Is the biomechanics of running that different from walking?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Greg

Share |

Banned

06-30-2012, 10:43 AM

Maybe the mechanics are differnt or are you practicing Power Walking and training for a fast walking speed? I've observed that people that Powerwalk seem to move as fast as many people jog and with less effort. Steve Reeves after he injured his body lifting weights used Power Walking as his fitness method I've read. Looking forward to Monty's reply, he is our expert on staff.

Share |

06-30-2012, 04:42 PM

Hey Guys,
Not sure I am much of an expert but more of a student of the sport. I would say walking is a technique just like running and the more you practice it the stronger the walking muscle will get and also more efficient.

Just like a person who runs for years will get a tad more efficient then someone who does not.

That's my take.
Monty

Share |

Legacy Member

06-30-2012, 04:52 PM

Hi Monty,

Thanks for your reply. I don't do anymore walking than I do running. I guess in the scheme of things I am put together more for a fast walk than a fast run.

Greg

Share |

06-30-2012, 11:26 PM

Hey Greg, Maybe you aught to train for speed walking. I hear the benefit is better and it's eaasier on the joints.

Share |

Legacy Member

07-01-2012, 08:05 AM

Hey Greybeard,

I really like Steve Reeves version of Power Walking or Power Striding as I call it. You stride and swing the arms long. You can cover alot of ground quickly. It is fairly safe on the knees and lower back. Come to think about it, I seem to do better at running when I practice Power Striding as an auxillary exercise.

Greg

Share |

11-06-2012, 01:09 AM

Its a good threat to describe both running and walking. I am very impressed with this topic. Walk is slow process of weight lose and running is a fast method to lose weight. Both are good exercises.

Share |

12-17-2012, 06:58 AM

Walking vs running is two things which make the perfect to the person walk is also very good for the person and running is also very good for the person but i think running is more important to the walk it is the best exercise to the weght loss and maintain to the health and body.

Share |

04-16-2013, 12:33 AM

I like walking after work and after dinner, i think walking can make us more healthy

Share |

05-29-2013, 03:40 AM

According to me that walking has own importance in our life and running has own importance in
our life but both of the best for keep fitness of the body and keep maintain of the body weight.So
i like the running and walking for keep fitness of the body...

Last edited by Martin; 06-03-2013 at 06:32 AM.

Share |