Share |
Galen Rupp World Class Runners Strength Workout

01-25-2013, 10:10 AM

Hi all,

I am posting this video to show you the trend that top runners are using. Top coaches like Alberto Salazar are gravitating to body weight exercises.

Now Alberto says he is against light weights but Galen is lifting weights and doing over head stuff which I disagree with. This is why I am posting this.

Galen could use a dose of push ups and pullups in my opinion.
Now granted I am a high school coach and obviosly have not coached Olympians so I am not trying to be a know it all and maybe Galen is doing upper body stuff but it does not look like much.

Now Galen is one of the top runners in the world so this works for him.

I am also posting this since it is all over the internet and recreational runners are hyperventialting over Galen and his workout even some of my runners mentioned it.

I know some top runners do all body weight stuff a couple times a week.

Heres the video, notice he does lots of stability training for his lower body, you could do this with out all the objects and get good results, like the lunges and squats.

Doing GUTS twice to three times a week would help any runner and doing various squats, lunges, step ups etc. I do this stuff with my runners and they are as strong or stronger than the programs that do lifting. The proof in our finishing form and on hills.

http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/249...the-Weightroom

Monty

Share |

Legacy Member

01-26-2013, 10:03 AM

Monty,

I know all the coordination type exercises are the rage in sports training now, but to be honest with you I don't get it. If I am going to do coordination exercises I will practice my sport and train the body for strength and conditioning in a general way. I think you are right - this young man could benefit from pullups and pushups.

Greg

Share |

01-26-2013, 04:53 PM

Kind of off-point, but does anyone know what's Jeremy Wariner's status? He was coming back from an injury and then had a disappointing show at the Olympics in the 400m.

Share |