Reply
Share |
Thread Tools Display Modes
Looking for help in crafting points to make
 
 
JLA_1962 JLA_1962 is offline
Senior Member

Reply With Quote
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 163
02-23-2019, 02:00 AM
 
Hi everyone it's been a while since I posted here. Well I'm posting this because I am looking for some help in coming up with arguments to make, facts to give and any additional well thought opinions for the following topic: Increasing the maximum age to enlist/commission into the Service. Myself and another person are writing to our elected representatives and other officials in the government. Now we've come up with a number of points to make but obviously the more information that we have the better. The reason that I am posting this here is because a number of you are older men who are in good shape and have discovered just how to stay young and in shape and could run circles around the average 20 year old today. So I'm hopeful that you can all see where I am going with this. Thanks and take care!
__________________
" The Spirit of Lady Liberty can be found in it's people " - Captain America
 
 
Share |
 
 
brotherleroy brotherleroy is offline
Junior Member

Reply With Quote
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: KS
Posts: 3
02-23-2019, 11:32 AM
 
Your best bet is to look specifically at the Army. Starting next fiscal year the Army has a gender and age neutral Physical Fitness Test. This test consists of Deadlift (at a very moderate weight of 180lbs for combat MOS), Release Pushups, Medicine Ball Toss (backward overhead), Shuttle Run (with a weighted sled and with 40lb kettlebells), Hanging Leg Tuck, 2-mile run (modest 21-minute pace).

I can't speak to the other branches, but the Army's newest approach makes this a very easy argument. Having served in the Army and the Navy I have no doubt there are older folks who can teach the youngsters a thing or two.
-
Patrick
 
 
Share |
 
 
Andy62 Andy62 is offline
Senior Member
Andy62's Avatar

Reply With Quote
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,934
02-23-2019, 02:07 PM
 
I was very weak in my early childhood and in fact barely survived my mother's problem pregnancy and my birth. My parents had been married 20 years before she was able to become pregnant with me and I had to be delivered by caesarean section which was a very dangerous procedure when I was born in 1938 due to the fear of infection as the wonder drugs to prevent it had not been developed yet.

At about age 12, I came across the Charles Atlas Course and have tried every form of exercise over the following years. There were times when I exercised and times when I didn't and I didn't always live a very healthful life style, but I kept returning to the"Tension" type exercises ..

I passed the physicals and served in the Army and was trained by the US Army Rangers during the Cuba Missile Crisis of 1962. After that I graduated from the US Army Intelligence school and served as a special agent with the 112th Intelligence Corps Group assigned to the investigation of the Kennedy Assassination.

During the 1970s I came across Mike Dayton's "Chi Mind Control" Course, in a very difficult period of my life, which also featured "Tension" type exercises. It not only developed my physical strength,but also helped me develop my "Inner strength" which helped me solve my other life problems.

John Peterson has a great section on "Chi Mind Control",in his "Isometric Power Revolution".

I recently had my 80th birthday and I feel great with no sore muscles or joints. A little over 10 years ago I completely eliminated my calisthenic exercises and have done Bob Hoffman's one minute a day exercise routine ever since featuring 6 -ten second tension type isometric contractions targeting different body parts".

Bob Hoffman was one of the pioneers of Isometrics:

My favorite Hoffman quote about his father's experience with the Swoboda System is from his book “Functional Isometric Contraction” Chapter 30 page 202, where it says, "So often I have said that my father had more muscles than I have seen since and we must remember that I am in the muscle business and that I have seen thousands of extraordinary physical specimens. He exercised incessantly and he could make most any muscle group in his body feel like blocks of wood. I always believed that his exercises verged more on the tension type, rather than Functional Isometric Contraction, but there was a close similarity .”

I personally believe that exercise effectiveness all comes down to INTENSITY and the best way to develop INTENSITY , both mentally and physically," is Isometrics.

I am really looking forward to John's new course !

Last edited by Andy62; 02-23-2019 at 04:50 PM.
 
 
Share |
 
 
ware ware is offline
Senior Member

Reply With Quote
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 189
02-24-2019, 12:35 AM
 
I think the age limits are just fine where they are.

1. We're completely voluntary at this point and demands are being met. So I see no point to open it up to a larger population.
2. Even though there are older folks that are in good shape, it's likely that the washout rate of 30 + year olds is going to be higher because at around age 30 and especially 40 the connective tissues become more brittle, more likely to injure and take longer to heal.
3. I personally don't want my tax money pissed away on older recruits getting injured and washing out.

I do agree with some aspects of the new PT test. The old one was a heavy emphasis on upper body strength and running, with no aspect of leg, hip, lower back readiness and these are some of the most used muscle groups for many jobs.

Deadlift and sled type work are more directly applicable than pushups to most roles in the army. I've looked at the new standards, I'm 50 and could easily do the top 1/4 of the heavy physical demand. The only exception would be the run, I'd need to train for that.

Last edited by ware; 02-24-2019 at 12:53 AM.
 
 
Share |
 
 
JLA_1962 JLA_1962 is offline
Senior Member

Reply With Quote
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 163
02-24-2019, 02:06 AM
 
But there are people who are over the age of 35 who are in good shape. If you can meet the minimum medical and physical requirements than why can't they be allowed to serve. In the UK, Canada and Australia they all allow for older people to join and serve.
__________________
" The Spirit of Lady Liberty can be found in it's people " - Captain America
 
 
Share |
 
 
JLA_1962 JLA_1962 is offline
Senior Member

Reply With Quote
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 163
02-24-2019, 02:08 AM
 
Also basic training today is not what it used to be. Today it has become so watered down due to the politically correct society that we live that it's not difficult to get through.
__________________
" The Spirit of Lady Liberty can be found in it's people " - Captain America
 
 
Share |
 
 
JLA_1962 JLA_1962 is offline
Senior Member

Reply With Quote
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 163
02-24-2019, 02:12 AM
 
I got news for you. Your tax payer money is already being put to waste. Your income tax doesn't even go towards anything except for paying the interest on the debt incurred from the Federal reserve.
__________________
" The Spirit of Lady Liberty can be found in it's people " - Captain America
 
 
Share |
 
 
JLA_1962 JLA_1962 is offline
Senior Member

Reply With Quote
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 163
02-24-2019, 10:26 AM
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy62 View Post
I was very weak in my early childhood and in fact barely survived my mother's problem pregnancy and my birth. My parents had been married 20 years before she was able to become pregnant with me and I had to be delivered by caesarean section which was a very dangerous procedure when I was born in 1938 due to the fear of infection as the wonder drugs to prevent it had not been developed yet.

At about age 12, I came across the Charles Atlas Course and have tried every form of exercise over the following years. There were times when I exercised and times when I didn't and I didn't always live a very healthful life style, but I kept returning to the"Tension" type exercises ..

I passed the physicals and served in the Army and was trained by the US Army Rangers during the Cuba Missile Crisis of 1962. After that I graduated from the US Army Intelligence school and served as a special agent with the 112th Intelligence Corps Group assigned to the investigation of the Kennedy Assassination.

During the 1970s I came across Mike Dayton's "Chi Mind Control" Course, in a very difficult period of my life, which also featured "Tension" type exercises. It not only developed my physical strength,but also helped me develop my "Inner strength" which helped me solve my other life problems.

John Peterson has a great section on "Chi Mind Control",in his "Isometric Power Revolution".

I recently had my 80th birthday and I feel great with no sore muscles or joints. A little over 10 years ago I completely eliminated my calisthenic exercises and have done Bob Hoffman's one minute a day exercise routine ever since featuring 6 -ten second tension type isometric contractions targeting different body parts".

Bob Hoffman was one of the pioneers of Isometrics:

My favorite Hoffman quote about his father's experience with the Swoboda System is from his book “Functional Isometric Contraction” Chapter 30 page 202, where it says, "So often I have said that my father had more muscles than I have seen since and we must remember that I am in the muscle business and that I have seen thousands of extraordinary physical specimens. He exercised incessantly and he could make most any muscle group in his body feel like blocks of wood. I always believed that his exercises verged more on the tension type, rather than Functional Isometric Contraction, but there was a close similarity .”

I personally believe that exercise effectiveness all comes down to INTENSITY and the best way to develop INTENSITY , both mentally and physically," is Isometrics.

I am really looking forward to John's new course !
Ok well do you have any suggestions about what arguments I could include in my letter?
__________________
" The Spirit of Lady Liberty can be found in it's people " - Captain America
 
 
Share |
 
 
JLA_1962 JLA_1962 is offline
Senior Member

Reply With Quote
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 163
02-24-2019, 10:28 AM
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherleroy View Post
Your best bet is to look specifically at the Army. Starting next fiscal year the Army has a gender and age neutral Physical Fitness Test. This test consists of Deadlift (at a very moderate weight of 180lbs for combat MOS), Release Pushups, Medicine Ball Toss (backward overhead), Shuttle Run (with a weighted sled and with 40lb kettlebells), Hanging Leg Tuck, 2-mile run (modest 21-minute pace).

I can't speak to the other branches, but the Army's newest approach makes this a very easy argument. Having served in the Army and the Navy I have no doubt there are older folks who can teach the youngsters a thing or two.
-
Patrick
Could you elaborate on what you are suggesting?
__________________
" The Spirit of Lady Liberty can be found in it's people " - Captain America
 
 
Share |
 
 
John Peterson John Peterson is offline
Author
John Peterson's Avatar

Reply With Quote
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14,095
02-24-2019, 03:49 PM
 
Hey Friends,

There is great information being shared in this thread.

Personally I think that Ware is making good points across the board but I want to address something that he has stated that although 100% true does have possibility for correction.

He stated:

Quote:
2. "Even though there are older folks that are in good shape, it's likely that the washout rate of 30 + year olds is going to be higher because at around age 30 and especially 40 the connective tissues become more brittle, more likely to injure and take longer to heal."


The truth is that taking high amounts of Vitamin C with Co-Factors does have a marvelous effect on collagen production in the human body and collagen is what the connective tissues are created from.

Nonetheless, I wish I had known 50 years ago what I know now because I would have gone for intensity instead of volume in my exercises and would saved a great deal of wear and tear on my body. BUT the truth is that I simply did not know then what I do know now and there wasn't anyplace to really discover it back then.

The closest I came to understanding it was in reading Bob Hoffman's 'Functional Isometric Contraction' when I was about 17 years old and thinking to myself it's unreal that these men are getting better results from training four or five times a week with Isometrics and only doing one workout a week with weights but there progress proves it., But then I read something else in the same book and thought to myself, "This guy is actually saying that Atlas's method of using tension exercises not only works but made his own father the most muscular man that he had ever known." So because of having read that I redoubled my efforts on volume and did at least 500 Atlas Push-Ups every day and often did 1,000 in a day and the truth is that when you are a kid with HGH and testosterone off the charts you really can grow like a weed. (as my dad used to say).

In Hoffman's book he shared some amazing information about Isometrics that was totally convincing and at the time I was taking large amounts of desiccated liver tablets because I had read some articles in Iron Man that stated it was the ultimate Vitamin B12 supplement. In one article Vince Gironda was quoted to have said that it took the place of steroids but I have talked to several men over the years and they have told me that Gironda's students were way ahead of everyone else on how to use and cycle steroids as well as nutrition. And by the way, 50 years ago, you'd often read in the magazines that some of the bodybuilders were taking B12 shots and the truth is...that 'B12' was actually code for bodybuilders that took steroids as I was told by Jack King. In fact, Jack told me that the term was actually coined by none other than Bob Hoffman who introduced steroids to American sport at large. By that I mean track and field, swimming, and many other Olympic sports because Hoffman hated the Soviets and wanted to see Americans surpass the Soviets across the board. Nonetheless it was the East Germans that were the first to really maximize chemical manipulation and during the 64, 68, and 72 Olympics it was unreal how many medals were won by the East Germans.

Today, genetic manipulation is so completely mastered that within 20 years there will be very, very few Olympians
that are not the result of genetic manipulation.


That's another discussion for another time.

---John Peterson

Last edited by John Peterson; 02-24-2019 at 03:52 PM.
 
 
Share |
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:31 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


Bronze Bow Publishing Copyright © 2008 Bronze Bow Publishing. All Rights Reserved.