Share |
Living Strength Power Secrets From The Fountain of Youth--The Nutritional Edge

Legacy Member

08-30-2019, 07:44 AM

For the past couple of months I've delved into a Keto style diet. I initially started it and felt great and reduced my weight and body mass metrics well but hit a platue and then just abandoned the method. I started it back up again maybe 2 weeks ago and had the initial great success for the first week of feeling great and dropping some body weight, then my weight started to go back up just a hair and it plateaued.

I am well aware that measuring these things over the short course of a couple of weeks is really foolish; however, I have concerns about maintaining this style of diet long term.

I'm pretty excited about seeing the new book and gaining some valuable insights in hopes that I'll be able to modify what I'm doing.

Right now, I'm mainly just doing the following:

#1: Keep the Carbohydrate consumption less than 30 g per day (adj -Fiber)
#2: My Main source of food are fats
#3: My Secondary source is Protein
#4: Liver tablets and Potassium Supplements

Like I said, this just does not seem sustainable for the long term; although I do feel pretty good.

Share |

Legacy Member

08-30-2019, 08:26 AM

Interested in seeing you results on this... Keto is something I have always avoided as it's the bodies emergency state, and although often shows results short term, it can be dangerous long term. Carbs are the bodies primary fuel source. Every cell in the body needs carbs to run, so I'd nevber limit that myself.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

- Kenpopaul

Share |

Legacy Member

08-30-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpopaul View Post
Carbs are the bodies primary fuel source. Every cell in the body needs carbs to run, so I'd nevber limit that myself.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

- Kenpopaul
I'll keep y'all posted on how things go. The verdict on whether or not I can find enough substantiating information to agree with your statement that your body needs carbs to run and is the primary source of fuel is up in the air for me. Thanks for the information though. And if you can provide some better quantification I would be grateful.

So far in my research I see that the resultant energy sources your cells are using are glucose ( from whatever is provided as the source for that, not just carbs). Muscles from what I understand do not grow from carbs, but protein, and your brain utilizes cholesterol of all things.

Share |

Author

08-30-2019, 02:36 PM

Hello gbjj,

You shouldn't go for more than 72 hours without replenishing carbs. Limiting yourself to 30 grams of carbs a day is extreme and is not something that anyone can or should sustain longterm.

The so-called Keto diet is an update of the 'Calories Don't Count Diet' of 1961 which was then picked up by Dr Robert Atkins with the Atkins Diet Revolution first published in 1972. I've seen them all and many others going back much further. Here's the bottom line. You don't want to do anything that can't be sustained. As I have stated before, I have never met anyone that went on an exclusive protein and fat diet that didn't ultimately run into trouble. Every guy I've ever known that went on the Atkins Diet longterm ended up experiencing Gout. The truth is that you can't eat large quantities of meat day after day without inundating your system with uric acid. Believe me, I have had friends that experienced Gout and it was horrifically painful for them.

It seems to me that Paleo, Keto and all the rest are derivatives of Atkins.

Bottomline: Don't go more than 3 days without a generous carbohydrate meal if you want to remain healthy.

---John Peterson

Last edited by John Peterson; 09-03-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Share |

Legacy Member

08-31-2019, 08:42 PM

this about sums things up for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ua-WVg1SsA

Share |