Share |
John, Do You Think It's Possible To Weight Train Safely?

02-17-2009, 12:21 AM

I personally lift weights but consider it more a sport than my main method of fitness and health. Isometric powerflexes, visualization and power Cals are all equal parts of my daily routine. As an athletic endeavour weight lifting has its share of injury risks but so do many other sports I know at least a dozen friends of mine who have had knee surgery or physical therapy as a result of playing soccer.

Share |

02-17-2009, 01:46 AM

I've not lifted weights now for 20 months now and Doubt I'll ever go back to it. I did think about it a while ago (for about 1 hour) but never have.

I love the feeling I get from my Powercal & DVR workouts, something I never got from weights. Plus I'm getting really into iso's now which I love doing.

I took my measurements yesterday and I'm now back upto the same as I was 3 years ago (when I was heavily into bodybuilding & the gym). Some of my measurements are actually bigger! What's more is I look better than I did then and feel a lot better.

Also, a couple of days ago I was doing my DVR Squats, I decided to do 3 sets of 10 at high tension (followed by pullups & Dips & the back bridge for 30 seconds) That was it, that was all I did and I'm aching all over! I actually ache in my legs more than when I used to do 3 heavy squat sets at the gym (a nice ache though, not pain).

Bottom line - I believe my DVR Squats were harder and more effective than if i'd have used weights without the risk of injury. I don't need weights. I have a virtual pile of them in my head.

kenpopaul

Share |

Legacy Member

02-17-2009, 01:50 AM

Weird, My message above is displaying my full email address rather than just my name. I must have logged in as than by accident as it's saying junior member.

Ah well, you all know how to contact me now lol

Share |

Legacy Member

02-17-2009, 06:22 AM

Outstanding my Brother!

Some of the VRT's it is true make sense with a pole or stick.Like a VRT barbell bicep lift.
You don't need them,but at times,keeping both hands on an even plain with the resistance can be helpful.

you never need weights,just resistance,a resistance our own bodies can easily supply-at any level!

peace,
jason

Share |

02-17-2009, 08:18 AM

Try some "dynamic isometrics" as a relatively safe way to train. Grab a heavy weight & attempt to break the plane of its support; ie you've completed the isometric once the weight moves. Note, a movable, heavy object will suffice for this type of training; enjoy the feedback

Share |

Administrator

02-17-2009, 12:33 PM

I've taken care of your email as username issue kenpopaul.

Share |

02-17-2009, 01:30 PM

Getting back to the question....weight lifting can be done safely provided one trains in an intelligent manner. That means having a spotter, warming up properly and knowing your limits.

Transformetrics/Dynamic Tension/bodyweight training eliminates the spotter - a major issue. Also not having a room dedicated to equipment is a plus. In you go to a gym, there's dues that must be paid.

Many pre-steroid era bodybuilders lived long healthy lives and attributed scientific training methods to their enjoyment of life. The more recent "Bomb and Blast" bodybuilders, with twice a day double-split routines and super high protein diets just don't get it. The late, great Steve Reeves, commenting on the "Gym Rats", said that you gotta have a life outside the gym. He did, as did many others.

I lifted for years and never had a major injury. This is mainly due to having a sensible approach to lifting.

However, the type of training that frees one from a gym and equipment and monthly dues is definitely a wise choice for many. I've done my workout on cruise ships, in hotel rooms, at work and in my living room. If you can beat that, let me know!

"Your body, your gym - any time, any place!"

Jack

Last edited by kelbiz; 02-18-2009 at 07:00 AM. Reason: spelling - oops

Share |

Banned

02-17-2009, 04:37 PM

You guys are all spot on with what you're saying. Can I say that because I'm so smart? Nope. Nature is smarter than we are so I gauge what people say and their methods based on the results and on how the part of Nature that lives inside of each of us responds to that training.

I'd have to agree after seeing how my body responded to weight training the way it's taught by most people today in the US. I haven't lifted weigths in a VERY long time. I noticed a common pattern though in myself and others who trained with weights. Limited range of motion in some people. Higher likelihood of injury (training to failure does that). I've seen guys with arms and lats so stiff they couldn't scratch their a$$ if they wanted to. Or people who get strong in the gym but can't do a lick of work.

It sounds like the old-time strongmen were doing a mix of isometrics/self-resistance with the light weights. Makes sense. Because with lighter weight, you don't have to accomodate your body movements and mechanics to the weight. What I mean is, let's say you could lift a 35 lb dumbell with one arm in one type of movement. Now, if you tried doing arm circles with that same weight, most likely it would strain your joints and tendons, IF you could even do an arm circle with that much weight, and if you couldn't, you'd be inclined to either change your movement to adapt to the weight (limiting your range of motion), or jerk the weight around. Guess what? You can do the same with self-resistance and with bodyweight exercises.

Here's a mistake I made with bodyweight exercise. I worked my way up slowly to being able to do a one-armed push-up with strict form (nothing wrong with one-armed push-ups). But what I noticed was doing a one-armed push-up wreaked some havok on my elbow joints. So now if I do anything that resembles a one-armed push-up, it's balancing my body weight in the locked position of the one-armed push-up. I also can't do many pull-ups. Only 5 if I struggle..maybe. But guess what? Even doing less than that regularly is bad for my elbows so I just hang on the bar a few seconds every time I walk by.

I've learned it's a good idea to never use an arbitrary amount of reps or an arbitrary weight or an arbitrary exercise for conditioning. Focus on reps and weight and a specific exercise, in my opinion, shouldn't be the main focus. The focus, I think, should be on doing the exercises and reps and weights that build up, while not damaging YOUR body. I can't say this because I'm super-fit..because I'm not super-strong or super-fit. I'm not weak but I'm not exceptionally strong either. The point I'm stressing is that it isn't me that's talking. It's Nature that's doing the talking. My goal right now is a super-healthy body, but I do believe that if I achieve super-health, I'll start seeing massive increases in my strength.

Some extras I like to do for the muscles: A hot shower to increase circulation and increase suppleness of the muscles. Either a short cold shower or exposer to cold outside. (this increases the number of white blood cells..this isn't junk science I made up....it's been proven). The cold shower also constricts the blood vessels of the muscles and the blood rushes to the internal organs.

I usually like the hot shower before exercise, if I have the time. I'd reccomend it for relieving muscle tension and if you want a rush of blood and nutrients to the muscles......you can also take one before stretching.

Share |

Author

02-17-2009, 07:48 PM

Hello Jonathan,

Those are some wonderful insights. I agree with everything that you have stated.

In fact, the reason that I don't teach one armed Push-ups as an exercise is because they place too much stress on the shoulder and elbow joints for the vast majority of people. There are those that can perform them effectively and without much residual pain. But they are few and far between. For the most part they are men with a 'straight up and down' type of weight distribution with hips almost as wide as shoulders.

---John Peterson

Share |

02-18-2009, 09:19 AM

A much easier, safer version of the one arm pushup can be performed against a wall or using adjustable "gymnastic rings"

Share |