Share |
how many exercises do we need?

Legacy Member

09-25-2013, 04:43 PM

Hi everybody, I have been studying exercise for about 10 years now, trying a million different programs and exercises to see what they do. But many programs are very complicated, with lots of exercises that are complicated to use, and intricate rest and work schemes and all these little compensation moves to balance out what you are doing, it just seems like too much to me. I have been returning to simpler routines with less exercises and simpler movements, and I feel I can create more intensity and feel like I get a better workout this way, in fact I just got home from a long day and am going to go do a simple 10 minute routine with some calisthenics like jump rope and burpees or something, i dont know yet, I will figure it out though. This is much more appealing to me then having a covoluted 10 minute warmup with foam rolling (nothing against that) dynamic stretching and then specific warmup then 12 different exercises supersetted with specific rest and rep intervals, and yada yada, you know what I mean? But how many exercises do you guys do in one workout? Ok time to go move.

-Jared

My Training Log
http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...5499#post45499

Share |

Author

09-25-2013, 04:56 PM

Hey Jared,

My 24/7 Power Circuit has just three foundational exercises and four when you include The Milo.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

09-25-2013, 05:30 PM

is that in the new book?

My Training Log
http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...5499#post45499

Share |

Author

09-25-2013, 05:34 PM

Hello A1C Evans,

You'll find it in "Ultimate Push-Ups For the Awesome Physique".

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

09-25-2013, 06:52 PM

Hi Jared,

Simpler is better. There are a lot of things I like to do, but simpler is always better. My work responsibilities have engendered the hour rule. My workouts can be no more than 45 minutes to an hour. If I split my workout into morning and evening then no more than 30 minutes each.

If I was doing straight calisthenics it would be even shorter, but since most of what I do now is FMT with slow tension, it takes a little longer. On the other hand, I feel energized afterwards rather than drained.

Share |

09-25-2013, 07:43 PM

The number of exercises I do in a workout is typically 4 or less: Pushups or ab wheel work, pullups, FMT and isometrics. I suppose one could argue that doing many different FMT moves or isometrics are different exercises, but let them argue and I will get on with my workout.

Matt

Share |

Legacy Member

09-26-2013, 03:26 AM

Quote:
I suppose one could argue that doing many different FMT moves or isometrics are different exercises, but let them argue and I will get on with my workout.

LOL - Ain't it the Truth!

Share |

09-26-2013, 11:23 AM

Wow. I do 12-16, if you count warm-ups too. You gotta shake things up, gotta find that weakness and make it stronger. Not sure I could do that with only four or five different exercises. You can bet I make full use of PYTP and IPR, kicking up the intensity with Guts occassionally and at least on one weekend day.

Share |

Banned

09-26-2013, 02:50 PM

We have seen some Americans that are famous for thier fitness use two exercises, pushups and sit-ups! KISS can work!

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bennyb

09-26-2013, 04:27 PM

I've also fiddled around with many programs and done more than my fair share of tons of exercises back in the day but as I approach 30, I may still be really young compared to the guys here but I have to be smarter in my training. Besides doing a bunch of exercises is just tedious and booring lol. So I look at it as if you're going to do certain exercises in a workout keep ones you want to focus on, like a certain push-up, squat, ab exercise, some grip work whatever focus on that. Pretty simple and when it comes to isometrics if you do them right you'll only be able to do maybe 30 of them within a 25 min. period because it's intense. When I was training today, I only did 2 exercises using a mace and a hammer and just went with those. Using plenty of deep breathing, I managed to get through the workout without any injury or big time soreness. Keep focused on the exercises that you want to master. When you do a bunch of random exercises, you might as well not keep your brain intact because it's not going to get you anywhere. There's m 2 cents lol.

Share |