Share |
MArathon World Record- 2:03:23

09-29-2013, 08:58 PM

Marathon record Broken by Kipsang, 4:43 pace for 26.2 miles, crazy fast. He came through 5K in 14:34. The average American runs a 5k 10 minutes slower and runs a Marathon 2+ hours slower. Incredible just as incredible as any pro athlete who breaks a record, but this one is a tough one to beat.

Article
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-...broken-2322331

Monty

Share |

Author

09-30-2013, 09:17 AM

Hey Monty,

It is almost incomprehensible that anyone could accomplish a feat like that.

---John Peterson

Share |

09-30-2013, 10:29 AM

That's incredible, truly an amazing feat of strength and endurance. Out of curiosity has anyone read Running with the Kenyans? I haven't read it and was wondering if it was worth a look.

Share |

09-30-2013, 01:23 PM

John,

Part of me is in awe but the other part of me wonders if Kipsang and many others from the African nations are doping. I really do not want to believe it but have read some articles that there have been some shady goings on in these countries with PEDs.
Monty

Share |

10-01-2013, 10:55 AM

In NPR coverage of the story, a doctor/researcher at Mayo pointed out that through the 20th century, different ethnic groups have taken turns at dominating the marathon, the Finns in the 30's and 40's, and later on the Japanese, British, Americans, Australian/NZ-ers and more recently East Africans.

Attempting to provide some explanation for current East African dominance, the Mayo doctor cited (1) living and training at high altitude - 8000 ft I think it was, (2) a culture of much physical activity from a young age, (3) very strong financial motivations to benefit self and community.

Share |

10-01-2013, 12:34 PM

Good Points Cubalibre,

Running and soccer are the big sports in those countries, not like America where we have quite few. Thing is their ancesters have lived at altitiude for 100s of years and life is hard for many so when they find they are good at sport they go all out.
Americans have an affluence problem and has made many lazy especially our young people. Their are still good high school runners but many just do not go on with it due money, injuries and lack of support. Our system also is different in where you have a Jr High Coach, then High School, College and maybe a post college coach. In the African system you may have one coach your whole career.

Monty

Share |

Author

10-01-2013, 05:45 PM

Hey Monty,

I think these men are at a genetic advantage. He appears as though every ounce is solid muscle.

---John Peterson

Share |