Share |
Is high intensity circuit training good for longevity?

Legacy Member

04-11-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntbrain View Post
Try this "circuit" :

Take a Power Belt with you for a 20 minute fast walk. Use the PB to perform a variety of upperbody DSRs & ISO stops as you walk FAST
That sounds like it would make a good workout and challenge your coordination and concentration.

My Training Log
http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...5499#post45499

Share |

Legacy Member

04-11-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Newton View Post
Hi Jared,

By the way, Your avatar looks like you have a pretty good handle on what works for you!
Thanks Greg, but I can be better

My Training Log
http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...5499#post45499

Share |

04-11-2009, 12:49 PM

Yeah, comb your hair.

Tom

Share |

Legacy Member

04-11-2009, 04:26 PM

I’m going to ramble a bit. So bear with me, please.

It’s been my contention for a long time that fitness and health are two separate issues. For instance, many cancer patients can perform great feats of fitness almost to the point of death. Are they healthy? I don’t think so.

On the other hand, I know great number of out of shape people who live into their nineties. Are they healthy?

Some fitness routines are clearly injurious to the body. Consider some of the runners who pound their knees into dust by running on concrete day after day, month after month. Are they healthy?

Jim Fix, who advocated long distance running for maintaining one's health, used to be a fitness guru to a lot of people, that is, until he fell dead with a heart attack. Was he healthy?

My efforts for maintaining health are based upon the ancient philosophy of Qi Gong. And, as many of your already know, I’m especially impressed with various acupressure techniques. Strength and fitness techniques are what they are. And I enjoy them immensely, but they aren’t the end all when it comes to health maintenance. But, assuredly, a high level of fitness can contribute mightily to attaining a high quality of life.

Last edited by Royce; 04-11-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Share |

Banned

04-11-2009, 04:56 PM

Royce is right.Fitness and health are two separate issues.
In the past i was doing plyometric training for a year.I was able to dunk a basketball very easily.Now i can't even walk up a stair pain free.Am i healthy?I don't think so.
My advice is to be careful with explosive training(i consider sprints an exception).There are many ways to get the same results much safer.

Last edited by douglis; 04-11-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Share |

Banned

04-11-2009, 06:45 PM

yup. fitness and health are two separate thing.

health is more concern with proper nutrition to fuel your life chi. exercise is part of that considering your doing enough exercise to get your body functional and healthy. such as cardio but not mad cardio like marathoners.

fitness is when you go beyond functional goals in your exercise. like being able to do many things with your strength and physical aptitude. strength endurance and strength usage of your body don't necessary mean better health.

key for health is to keep your every body organs functional. I too believe in chi kung as the way to health just like Royce. It's all about the life force. may the force be with you. haha!! I used a star wars quote. love how that movie explains life force which by the way if you didn't know , the writers got the idea of life force from china.

Share |

04-11-2009, 08:28 PM

Combine deep breathing with joimt mobility drills as a daily, meditative health tonic ; vary the DVR tension. The resulting healthy joints will even help with your pure fitnss pursuits

Share |