Share |
John, how do you practice martial arts?

Legacy Member

06-05-2009, 09:09 PM

HI John, you've said in older posts that you practice martial arts. I am a martial artist myself and I am always concerned about the longevity of my practice. I practice for exercise but also for the perceived self defense benefits but I feel focusing only on self defense leads to a shallow experience.

My question relates to the movements you do and the performance of them. You said you studied systema right? Well, do you do your moves very fast, slow, medium speed, on a bag, mitts, in the air, etc. Also, at one point you said you dont do any snap out punches and you like the way John McSweeney used circles to create power. What did you mean by no snap out punches, and do you only use circlular strikes?

I am most concerned with wearing out my joints by throwing a lot of fast powerful blows either in the air or on the bag, but it seems necessary to develope technique and power. I would love to hear you thoughts.

Regards,
Jared

My Training Log
http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...5499#post45499

Share |

Legacy Member

06-08-2009, 07:09 AM

I eagerly await John's response as well

Rob

Share |

Legacy Member

06-08-2009, 12:16 PM

John said he was going to call, but I know hes busy. John, maybe it would be easier to just post your thoughts if you get a moment. Thank you.

Jared

My Training Log
http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...5499#post45499

Share |

04-22-2010, 09:55 AM

I started Systema training (based on John's recommendation in Pushing Yourself To Power) the Systema instructors state empatically not to do stirkes in the air or against a bag but only against your training partner. I think the vasiliev/ryabko systema strikes dvd has a hand pad to receive strikes but that is about it.

For joint/mobility work systema is absolutely the best system I ever encountered. Kwan Lee put out a DVD that does joint/tendon work for every body group in sequence and it is an amazing workout.

Share |