Share |
What to combine with GUTS?

Legacy Member

12-07-2009, 12:32 AM

Hi everyone, so GUTS is my foundational plan right now, but I want to take my strength to the next level beyond what GUTS will give me, which will already be good. I've talked to Joe about this in another thread and we came up with doing a bodypart split routine on top of GUTS. This would mean doing GUTS in the morning then at night doing another workout dedicated to a small group such as chest, back, legs, and arms plus shoulders. Each of these would only be done once a week. This seems like a good route to go for building size, but that goal is secondary to me now. But maybe i'm wrong about that and it would also be really good for strength.

I've also talked to Greg about doing isometrics after GUTS with the belt. This is another option and Isometrics will be in my routine somewhere but maybe at a seperate time so I have more energy. So i'm trying to brainstorm these ideas and get feedback from you guys for the best methods here for developing pure strength, I believe GUTS is great for all around strength and conditioning but I want to add on top of that another plan that will boost my strength to its natural limit.

Im really leaning toward isos and high tension DSR's in some fassion. Any ideas?

Jared

My Training Log
http://www.transformetrics.com/forum...5499#post45499

Last edited by A1C Evans; 12-07-2009 at 12:40 AM.

Share |

12-07-2009, 01:38 AM

Isometrics are the perfect exercise to combine with any activity if you want to develop strength.

Share |

Legacy Member

12-07-2009, 02:13 AM

I think they are valuable for that too Andy. Ok, I drew up this whole plan but I dont want to overwhelm you all so ill give it to you in pieces. Here is the chest day workout. Again, this would be done at a seperate time from GUTS but on the same day. I would do GUTS every other day or sometimes 2 days in a row but this workout would only be done once a week or once every 5 days.

Chest!
Exercise----------Reps
Military Pushup-----10
Leiderman chest press---10
Dips------10
Pull apart up and over--10
Military pushup-----10
Cross chest press down--10
Dips-----10
Iso Powerbelt chest press---3 positions 5 second contractions

then repeat sequence, maybe 2 or more times

Back!
Exercise----------Reps
Pullups-------4
DSR seated powerbelt rows------10
Body/supine rows------10
DSR powerbelt suitcase lift-----10 (ill explain this one if you want)
Pullups------4
DSR bent over back fly----10
body/supine row------10
DSR straight arm pulldown------10 each arm
pullups------4
Isometric seated row---------3 positions 5 second contractions

again, repeat sequence 2 or more times.

LEGS!
Exercise--------------Reps

split squat-----------10each leg
Laying leg milo---------10each
1 leg elevated shoulder bridge-----10each
wall sit on toes----------1 minute actively flexing legs
Split squats------------10 each leg
calf raise 1 leg----------10each
1 leg elevated shoulder bridge------10each
iso power belt deadlift-------3 positions 5 second contractions

again, repeat sequence 2 or more times.

Im not sure about how much rest to take but I think it will be very minimal maybe 30 seconds because I hate waiting long periods of time between exercises but I can understand the necessity, if you're a powerlifter that is. The DSR's would be done to a point where the last rep is hard but not making me fail, the rep speed would be moderately paced, and with as much tension as I could maintain for 10 reps with tension in both directions. All the other days (back, legs, and arms plus shoulders) are pretty much set up like this, but I would appreciate feedback on this one then 'll put the others up.

Thanks everyone
Jared

EDIT: added back routine

My Training Log

Last edited by A1C Evans; 12-08-2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: changed the routine, added leg day

Share |

12-07-2009, 04:37 AM

I'd say dips and chin ups/pull ups/rows. Also, bridges of some kind or hyperextensions.

Superman, Superman, wish I could fly like superman
Superman, Superman, I want to be like superman

Share |

Legacy Member

12-07-2009, 05:09 AM

hey Dan! thanks, why did I forget dips!!? They are a great movement for chest ok I put them in alternating with pushups. Good call, ive got the other pulling moves for back day, maybe I should have a core day where I do bridging, situps, planks etc?

My Training Log

Share |

12-07-2009, 06:20 AM

What we are doing is GUTS every other day and on the other days doing 500 pushups mixed with dips and pullups. It seems to be working well.

Aaron

Share |

Legacy Member

12-07-2009, 06:31 AM

Hi Jared,

There are so many things you can do;a segment of Powerflex,followed by isometrics.Varieties of pu's,chin's and dips,etc...

I think the important thing is what you stated-your goals! Once you have your goals you can tailor your needs to meet those goals.That is the beauty here,we might all have different goals but Transformetrics has a way to meet those goals at any level.

Many times I will do G.U.T.S (yesterday at the elite)then follow with a body part from Powerflex,and then I will do iso's to support that section.Seems to work,this weekend I took measurements(don't usually do this-don't know why,guess I just don't think of them).

Bicep 18 1/2"
chest 50"
waist 35"(even as an elite football player and swimmer I had a 34-36 inch waist-just kinda broad I suppose).

49 years of age
6'2"
245 lbs.

Anywho the program works for me,no matter what my goals are.

peace,
jason

Share |

Legacy Member

12-07-2009, 06:50 AM

Hi Aaron good to hear from ya. What kind of results have you seen from that so far? Ive never done a program of high rep cals like that.

Hey Jason, I didn't know you were such a big guy! 18.5 inch arms? thats huge! So you say you do a section of powerflex for a bodypart? So kind of like what im proposing? How often do you repeat it?

My main goal at this point is strength, so im still debating if a split routine stacked with GUTS is the best way to go any thoughts on that?

My Training Log

Last edited by A1C Evans; 12-07-2009 at 06:59 AM.

Share |

Legacy Member

12-07-2009, 11:06 AM

Hi Jared,

I usually like to break things up,so maybe arms one day,back the next,etc...
Lately Greg has gotten me interested in the power tee's again.When I do iso's I like to reinforce what I have just done,so if I work on arms I will do arm iso's,etc...

The great things about G.U.T.S is that the foundation is the best.If you add ,it is just icing on the cake.

peace,
jason

Share |

Author

12-07-2009, 11:41 AM

Hey Guys,

Wait till you see 'Hard As Nails'. You'll never need to wonder again about what else to do.

---John Peterson

Share |

Tags
g.u.t.s., routines