Share |
Recovery & Stretching and more questions?

Banned

09-10-2011, 10:39 AM

I started running this morning and it felt pretty easy.What I did is what Monty suggested;brisk walk for 5 minutes then 20 minutes of 60 seconds of a light jog alternated with 90 seconds of walking.Because of my G.U.T.S routine this was easy but I do feel a little tired.One of my questions is do you guys stretch after and what else do you do for recovery?I just don't want to burn my nerve force.Also I haven't ran in about 5 years so I overlooked the running shoe thing.So this morning I ran in sandles that strap around the toes and my ankles.Do you think this is ok?Also what do you think about treadmills?Since the winters are pretty much filled with snow where I live it's pretty difficult to run.

michael

Share |

09-10-2011, 03:18 PM

Michael,

Stretching after is better than stretching before. I recommended a running shoe, you can go minimalist which is like the Nike Free. Sandals may make you get injured. treadmill running is good just vary the incline and when bored do a circuit of running and bw exercises.
Monty

Share |

09-11-2011, 12:52 AM

Michael,

I agree that (for me) stretching prior to running is not a good idea. I wait until after so I'm more loose with no fear of tweaking anything while I'm still a little stiff.

Now, what I have found to be GREAT for warm up AND recovery (in addition to some stretching) is isometrics and DVRs.

Here is my very simple warm up and cool down routine:

Warm Up (3 minutes total):
--DVR Squat x 10 at medium tension.

Isometric Contractions 10 seconds each.
--Wall Squat (the 3 positions from IPR)
--The isometric contraction from IPR (can't remember the name) where you get on your tip toes and flex the entire lower body (including clenching the glutes).
--Calf Flex (half squat position on tip toes and contract calf muscles hard)

Cool Down (10 minutes total):
--Three minute walk.
--Repeat the ISOs and DVR routine from above.
--4 minutes of various leg stretches

I do these before and after each run. I usually run four days a week (3 miles on Tuesdays & Thursdays, 5 miles on Saturdays & Sundays). I typically run at an 8:00 mile pace.

Ever since incorporating the ISOs and DVR I run injury and ache free. I am convinced that these exercises are the reason why. I feel a strength to my leg muscles and spring in my step that I never, ever felt before. Give 'em a try!

Paul
And with our thoughts, we make our world." --Buddha

Last edited by Paul Smith; 09-11-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Share |

Banned

09-11-2011, 08:06 AM

Thanks Paul

Share |

Author

09-11-2011, 08:19 AM

Hey Michael,

Great advice from both men. I too am against traditional stretching. In fact, years ago when I was a participant in a long distance running club every guy that I knew that habitually performed static stretching before running eventually got injured.

However a functional "warm-up" that brings blood to the muscle tissues involved in running is a very good idea. Before I run I do 12 slow Tiger Stretch Push-Ups and 12 slow Tiger Bend Squats. This brings warm blood to virtually every muscle in the entire body and functionally stretches all of the muscles and tendons used in running including the hamstrings, quads, and Achilles tendons.

---John Peterson

Share |

09-11-2011, 01:17 PM

Dynamic WARM UP is the way to go which is:

DVRs light Isos or Butt kicks, lunges, heel walks, skipping, leg swings, walking Frankensteins, walking high knees. etc.
I have my distance kids do this before hard workouts, it has lessened injuries and made their legs stronger and if you watch sprinters warm up they do these exercises so why not distance runners, we want to get faster just like them. Our runners also do these before races and NO STRETCHING.

I personally teach a Yoga Fitness class to high school kids, it has really helped me but Yoga is not all stretching, it is also isometric and holds.

Here is a brief article on NOT Stretching before a run and why.

http://peakperformance.runnersworld....rformance.html

monty

Share |

Banned

09-11-2011, 04:56 PM

Thanks Monty,John,and Paul.

I heard about not stretching before a run before,I was just curiuos how you guys stretched after.When I played football before I used to do butt kicks,lunges,and high knees before a game.

Share |

Author

09-11-2011, 05:28 PM

Hey Michael,

After a run is the perfect time to do a set of Atlas Full Range Sit-Ups and Atlas Full Range Leg Raises. WHY? Because they decompress and elongate the spine while strengthening abs, legs, and core. This is also a good time for Tiger Stretch Push-Ups.

---John Peterson

Share |