Share |
StepUp question for inclement weather

Legacy Member

12-04-2011, 09:26 AM

Hi Monty,

I am trying to make it out to the track at least three times a week. However, if it is raining, snowing, or I have to work late, I can't. When I do G.U.T.S. I sometimes use the running stepup John recommended on a ten inch box. Normally I'll do 500 in around 15-16 minutes.

If I were to do just stepups on days I can't get to the track, how many and how long do you think would aproximate a 3 mile run? I know there aren't any fast answers there, but I'd like your opinion.

Thanks,

Greg

Share |

12-04-2011, 12:12 PM

Greg,
Great question.
I found this article about treadmills and steppers which is similar to step ups.

http://www.treadmill-ratings-n-revie...vs_stepper.htm

Personally I think 15 minutes of step ups and going to be like running 2/3 miles depending on intensity.

I guess my question is why are you only going to the track?? When I lived in Michigan back in the day I ran outside 80 to 100 miles a week no matter what the weather, now granted I know I was not a 50 year old cat but why could you not do a fartlek or some hill repeats if the track has snow on it. I sometimes after a run do strides in front of my house just to get the legs moving.

Now you have to do what works for you but I think some runners can become slaves to the track. I sometimes have my runners run fast between electric poles, an easy- hard approach.

Step ups are great and will supplement running just fine, the only problem is they can over develop the legs and glutes.
Greg in no way am I telling you what you should do, you have carved out a good plan and it is working for you by the looks of your pics. I always try to encourage runners to have variety so it stays fresh. I have been changing up my GUTS program lately since I have been doing the same thing for over a year. Believe me I am a guy that will run the same course over and over, so I need to listen to my own advice. HAHA!!

Monty

Share |

Legacy Member

12-04-2011, 02:10 PM

Hi Monty,

I see your point. To get good at running you must RUN. I have three different walking tracks I run at depending on when I go. But to answer your question brings up some logistical issues. LOL

I don't run or walk in the neighborhood or on the roads around here due to several factors. One is careless drivers and the other are the vicious dogs people allow to run free in our area. Then too, you also occasionally have to contend with drunks, druggies and deadbeats who are offended because you are doing something healthy. As well, I don't like breathing exhaust.

I did a lot of hill sprints summer before last in my backyard, but I didn't get the results I wanted, which was to cut down on my 5k time, and then I began having sciatic problems from the hill sprinting. Too, you have to watch out for gopher holes and other animal burrows that just seem to spring up overnight, so that would nix running after dark. Going to a track for me is safer and has less injury potential.

But, good insights and advice, and the admonition to run rather than not to run is very valid. You will only get better at what you practice.

Your friend,

Greg

Share |

12-04-2011, 07:28 PM

Greg,

Your post is valid and I get why you go to a track, here in the Phoenix area we have canals that are gravel, safe and not a lot of peeps, great to run on but very flat. I also do circuits like tiger stretch pushups then do some pull ups then back to TSPU. Talk about jackin up the heart rate. HAHA!! I love burpees too and will do as many as I can in 10 minutes, nothing short of torture. HAHA!! Anyway I hope I helped. I am wondering too if you have done stadium stairs? These would also help your running, not a good idea with snow though.

We must train with what we have and where we are.

Monty

Share |

Legacy Member

12-05-2011, 12:37 PM

Greg, great post, I too was also wondering how many step-up needed to be done to equal 2 or 3 miles of running, Last week I did 600 step-ups in my workout, and I was huffing and puffing like crazy at the end, the power step-up is a great exercise.

Share |

Legacy Member

12-05-2011, 12:49 PM

Reading the article about treadmills and stairsmasters, It brought back memories when I was working out at a gym, after my wife and I got married 23 yrs.ago, down the street from where we livied, and there was a member who was in great shape and all he would do was the stairmaster, push-ups and sit-ups, everyday,I was talking to him once about his program, and he said that the stairmaster gave his legs a terrific workout, and that the push-ups and sit-ups took care of his upperbody.He was probably in his early 50s, but he swore by his program, and I have to say that he was in great shape.

Share |

Legacy Member

12-05-2011, 03:14 PM

Hey Monty,

You definitely have helped with your advice.

The bottom line is, for me to break this plateau I'm on for running a faster 5K, I have to spend more time running. There is no way around it or short cuts to achieve it. I am just going to have to spend time doing it.

When I went to my old logs about when I was able to get my consistantly best times, I was running every other day, doing no free hand squats (they mess with my stride), I was alternating running a half mile track with hills with a quarter mile track, and I was running 3.5 to 4 miles each time. On opposite days I was doing a lot of pushups and situps.

So basically I am just going to have to start working up my running volume and doing more fartlek style running. I am shooting for a run in June, so I have several months to get ready. I'll probably be bugging you some more about it before then.

Thanks for you input and help.

Greg

Share |

12-08-2011, 01:54 PM

Greg,
Sounds great, and good to see you have old logs to see what works for you. Keep it fun and drop a line anytime.

Monty

Share |