Share |
How do You Quantify Level of Exertion?

Author

03-11-2019, 05:08 PM

Hello Friends,

It seems to be human nature to want to quantify how much intensity or exertion we are applying to what we do. I fully understand that. So, when I am asked about it as applies to Isometric Contraction does it surprise any of you that I don't really have a definitive answer. The simple truth is that I don't other than the obvious things like testing yourself with weights.

This is what I do know. Over the last few years, I have become more and more adept at contracting my muscles to the maximum through Isometric Contraction. I can also tell you that it is definitely a learned skill. Through practice, one develops the ability to contract more and more of his muscle fibers for any given exertion. So much so that you literally get into the 'groove' where you can feel the 'feel good' hormones kick in. It's a very pleasant feeling and I suppose somewhat addicting because it is something that I look forward to with every workout.

But back to the question, how do you quantify (measure) your ability to mobilize a greater number of muscle fibers for any given exertion? Testing yourself with weights would certainly be one way and applying the strength gained toward feats of strength like those our friend Benny Bergman does would be another. I'll give you one that made me laugh. More than 40 years ago, Dr. Rex Wiedenranders wrote a book on Isometrics called 'Biotonics' in that book he featured a large number of freehand Isometrics that yielded excellent results and what he recommended was that at the end of each month you should test yourself with push-ups in order to see how much your strength had improved. The reason I laughed was that although he was certain that his readers would be experiencing a great level of improvement from month to month in the number of Push-Ups they were capable of, I never understood why because the exercises that he taught had no relation to push-ups in the least so using push-ups as a test to determine an increase in isometric strength didn't make a lot of sense to me.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that I would have enjoyed being an Alexander Zass student that ended up breaking my exercise chains. The idea of blinding myself as the result of a training mishap holds no appeal for me. On the other hand, bending steel or horseshoes does have a certain allure to it for me.

---John Peterson

Share |

03-11-2019, 05:57 PM

Well said John!

Share |

03-11-2019, 06:31 PM

This is where you have to learn to listen to your instincts and intuition; your internal voice. You develop it with practice and digging deep into your mind. In today's world we are so dependent on structure and rules that we almost never even think of fit, but it can be extremely valuable from creating opportunities to warning us of pending danger.

Our internal knowledge is our own individually calibrated GPS that knows more about us, what we truly desire, and what is good for us than any other source. Learn to spend some time alone and emotionally separated from the world and just listening to it.

“Everything depends on our imagination, our will, and on whether we have faith. Everything in which we have faith succeeds, BELIEVE IN THAT WHICH IS NOT, IN ORDER THAT IT MAY BE. Imagination is truly the creative power in our hands.”
YOGA AND HEALTH

Share |

03-11-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy62 View Post
This is where you have to learn to listen to your instincts and intuition; your internal voice. You develop it with practice and digging deep into your mind. In today's world we are so dependent on structure and rules that we almost never even think of fit, but it can be extremely valuable from creating opportunities to warning us of pending danger.

Our internal knowledge is our own individually calibrated GPS that knows more about us, what we truly desire, and what is good for us than any other source. Learn to spend some time alone and emotionally separated from the world and just listening to it.

“Everything depends on our imagination, our will, and on whether we have faith. Everything in which we have faith succeeds, BELIEVE IN THAT WHICH IS NOT, IN ORDER THAT IT MAY BE. Imagination is truly the creative power in our hands.”
YOGA AND HEALTH
Great post Gordon!

Share |

03-12-2019, 05:19 AM

I concure with gordon...I'm of the same state of mind instinct, will power and internal fortitude for which the situation requires...numbers or poundage is nothing more than gravitational pull..I understand the physcological need for strength measurement..and I can see the value of it...but with freehand movements and the realm of all things related to self regulatory training...There has to be a mindset shift. To me this training is meant to be not training per se its meant to be life, energy, vitality and muscle forming..and incorporated into daily life and habitat just as one performs daily hygene and house chores almost as a ritual, we dont even have to think or plan these activities as they are habits and habit forming...To me it seems the body becomes autonomus for excercise in the same manner...It begans to feel unnatrual and anxiety forming not to do some form of physiological bodily expression in this manner. Ie at odd moments through out the day..similiar to a tiger or dog doing there flexing sporodiacally and habitually through out the day as needed...
Whats funny and people dont even realize strength physical and mental is manifested internally and we work and challenge ourselves against external forces and resistance..but the strength and power was already there and sans the weight or machine...in my mind and my opinion external forces that we resist against are powered and moved through our internal intention and will power..giving us the illusion they are building us up..but the way I see it a person can already exert a great amount of force and the persons ability to think into the muscle and contract more and greater capacities..hence now they can move a greater amount of weight, but really they can just contract a muscle stronger and recruit more fibers..which could have been done sans the weight although to limit...or who knows the limit as many dont trust there will power exclusively..and will power must be continually strengthend
To reach the zenith of your physical prowess...which Is where Isometrics would be superior...All those muscles have no choice but to be recruited and cant be lazy as is more possible in dynamic movement..but to me dvr and vrt Causes full recruitment as well and contraction throughout.

So to me in terms of intensity and quantifaction and if Im doing it right...is first application do you feel challenged, vital, powerful, alpha male mindset which comes from strength traing and excercise...If your giving any kind of sustained and consistent effort daily or even everyother day...results will manifest thats how fitness is built and maintained..

Why would I want to put a physcological limit on myself..now I have a self belief of what I can and cant do..Cause Ive put a objective number on myself and im now in a pseudo prison...Because in the real world your self belief and auto suggestion takes the governer off your strength and power..and strength is so physcological and situation specific...Im gonna be 20 times stronger fighting for my life or saving somebody...versus a nice safe gym or excercise setting...so to me long as your exerting great intensity to even moderate intensity..the structure can remain and grow strong...but also you would be primed to call on super strength...we have so much latent power that we cant tap into under normal and controled situations..but its there.
For me these are the reasons I worry not and care not what my strength measurements are..Trust your ability to wield and ossify your volitional strength no matter the endeavor and its natures law the organism has to adapt
....Like the great Musashi says seek nothing outside your self for everything comes from within..Im paraphrasing..but I relate that to many things in life..every is truly manifested and originated internally.

Share |

03-13-2019, 12:22 AM

I don't know how to quantify "feeling" either.

One thing I now I suck at with Isometrics is doing say 50 percent or 75 percent of max. Max is easy, but how the heck do I know when I'm doing 50 percent.

I've done years of HIT and because of that I can inroad like crazy so for me Isometrics very easily end up 100 percent efforts all the time.

I did ISO's about 1.5 months straight. My strength went up, but my joints were starting to hurt because I went hard all the time 3 -5 times a week.

For the last three weeks I'm doing 1 HIT workout per week. My joints feel great. Things are healing up. I think after everything is back to normal I'm going to do 2 weeks of ISOs and 3 weeks of HIT and just keep rotating.

Really Really want your new book, John. Just sayin'...

Share |