Share |
Supplements and Expectations

Author

05-22-2020, 06:32 PM

Hello Everyone,

I received an e-mail from a young man that contained a link to a certain line of supplements that the young man was asking me about. I know that he was serious and sincere just as my friends were that saw all the ads for supplements back in the lates 60s and 70s in the bodybuilding magazines.

Then as now muscle-building supplements are advertised by bodybuilders who use performance-enhancing drugs, such as anabolic steroids.

This misleads many young bodybuilders into believing that they can achieve the same massive muscular look by taking the advertised supplement.

In turn, many young bodybuilders, especially those at the beginning of their journey, develop unrealistic expectations of what can be accomplished naturally, this in turn may lead to extreme body dissatisfaction and eventually the urge for them to try anabolic steroids.

However, even under prescription, anabolic steroids are very unhealthy and linked to several risks and side effects.

In addition to being illegal to possess in the US without a prescription, using anabolic steroids can increase your risk of heart disease, liver, and kidney disease, decrease one's fertility and result in psychiatric and behavioral disorders such as depression.

Please don't misunderstand. I am not saying that taking supplements is a bad thing. Not at all. But I am saying that the bodybuilders used in those ads didn't get that way solely by taking supplements and lifting weights.

---John Peterson

Share |