Share |
The Best Way To Fix Chronic Back Pain

07-27-2009, 03:37 PM

Hey MikeNY,

I am ordering "Treat Your Own Back" for my Dad. Are the back flex exercises you mentioned from M7 also in PYTP? He already has a copy of that. If not I'll get him a copy of M7 too.

He used PYTP to help recover from hip replacement surgery last year.

Thanks for the heads up on the McKenzie book!

Share |

Banned

07-27-2009, 05:31 PM

Yes they are also in PYTP see page 119 BA-3, page 120 BA-5 same exercises. If he has PYTP he has it. Treat Your Own Back and the McKenzie Exercises are also great for spinal decomprssion. When I was hurt I'd hear thing snapping back into place as I did the McKenzie streching exercises and feel instant relief in spots.

Share |

07-27-2009, 06:20 PM

I can recommend the Egoscue method as something else to consider. I've had chronic back pain for most of my adult life. I was doing the ab exercise John recommended in one of his emails and initially I was having great results. My abs were getting stronger with no pain in my low back. But then I started having problems between my shoulder blades and then pain in my right shoulder.

I go to a chiropractor once a week, and it helps but obviously didn't fix the problem in the long run. I decided to look for something new. I noticed that DragonDoor is promoting something called a Functional Movement Screen and I tried to find a trainer certified in that. There was no one in my area. But I did notice an RKC offering a Posture Assessment based on the Egoscue method.

I went ahead and tried it. The trainer put orange stickers all over my body and took photographs from the front, back, left side, and right. Then did a few tests of flexibility and balance. She fed the data into a computer and came back with a program of 8 exercises. I've been doing the program for 3 weeks and I already feel significantly better.

If your problems stem from a posture that is shot all to heck like mine, is I highly recommend looking into the Egoscue method. I have the book Pain Free by Peter Egoscue but have just started reading it. It is pretty interesting so far but I did notice that a few of the exercises in my program aren't in the book.

Basically what the diagnosis showed was my hips are rotated to the left and my shoulders rotated even more in the same direction. Most of my weight rests on my right foot. I've had these issues since I was a child so I don't really have a muscle memory of the right way to stand, walk, etc.

Sorry about the length of this post. Hopefully someone will find it useful. I've tried everything else from the McKinsey method to Intuflow to Z Health and this is the only thing I've found that has really made a big difference. I look forward to adding in some general strengthening exercise like Atlas pushups in the near future. Someday maybe I'll even be able to do pull ups!

Share |

07-28-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
hey Ahmed,

I did not mean to infer that Tiger Stretch (hindu) Push-Ups are highly compressive. Only mildly so and not nearly as much as 'DiveBombers' but here's the deal, if someone already has a severely compressed spine because of heavy squats and deadlifts they may need to take easy on the Tiger stretch until they have fully healed.

---John Peterson
I appreciate your help john, Thanks.

Share |

07-29-2009, 04:47 PM

I hope I'm not ruffling anyone's feathers regarding spinal compression; but, on page 239 of Laurence Morehouse's book 'Total Fitness in 30 Minutes a Week', he recommends "... no arching of the back, no leaning backward, no backbends" because he considers the back to be a problem area that can be easily abused with dire results.

I'm only mentioning this because I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and I have to be very careful about bending and twisting my back.

Share |