Share |
Crunches, helping friend;s begin

Banned

04-09-2010, 02:53 PM

Just was talking to a friend on the forum. I've recommended he start with stomach vaccums (10 reps per day) and crunches; PYTP has a whole crunch rountine. The idea of starting with crunches is progression. He needs to start some place; Atlas situps are hard to start. My thought is crunches using GTG to build himself up, later Military situps (Atlas situps modified with arms straight abow the head on the ground, situp and touch the toes) and work up to Atlas Situps. Once you are doing hundreds of crunches then Atlas situps seem so much easier.

He is also going to do that old trick from the 1960's and 70's, while you are shaving hold your stomach in, doing something hold your stomach in, working, reading or online hold your stomach in. This is old school and always worked well for everyone.

We need to encourage the guys here, and remember they have to start somewhere.

A family member wants to start; I recommended he start with the M7 book, do the M7 exercises and the Commander Set of Isometrics and walking. Then use the concise Atlas Course in the M7 book, the seven workouts! Later add Isometric Powerflexing! Also recommended cruchnes to him to start!

PS: GTG is the Hollyweed Protocal that Ron taught and works so well with wall pushups. Ron also recommends it for situps!

Last edited by MikeNY; 04-09-2010 at 05:10 PM.

Share |

Legacy Member

04-10-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Atlas situps are hard to start. My thought is crunches using GTG to build himself up, later Military situps (Atlas situps modified with arms straight abow the head on the ground, situp and touch the toes) and work up to Atlas Situps. Once you are doing hundreds of crunches then Atlas situps seem so much easier.
Excellent advice Mike! You have to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run. I do 100's of Atlas situps daily, but four years ago or even last year, that would have been an impossibility. Your point cannot be emphasized enough. I'd strongly recommend anyone start off with six months of DVR's only before they embark on calisthenics; even if they are advanced. This gives the body a change to heal and the mind time to wrap itself around the concept of "thinking into the muscles." Good post.

Greg

Share |

04-10-2010, 12:35 PM

Thank you Mike for you constant and genuine support and guidance!

“The price of excellence is discipline. The cost of mediocrity is disappointment.” — William Arthur Ward

Share |

Banned

04-10-2010, 02:33 PM

Greg you must be a mind reader! I told that realitive do the M7 exercises for 3 to 6 months with the Commander Set & walking. Then to start the fantastic Atlas Course contained in Seven Workouts inside the M7 Book. Crunches might not be Atlas situps but they work the abs, same for Military situps, slightly more advanced than crunches and you are progressing. Greg great advice for all!

Guys I recommend you that are doing crunches, read the crunches in PYTP; many that are beginning need to cross thier arms in front of your chests until you get use to crunches. Many beginners use thier hands behind thier head & neck; pull on thier neck and try to use the shoulder, neck and back muscles to do the crunche; just use the stomach muscles, crossing the arms in front of the chest is a simple way to remember. Once you are in the groove your body will remember and you'll be doing crunches, Military situps and Atlas situps with ease. GTG makes it easy to build pushups, use wall pushups; Hollyweed knows his stuff, same deal with Atlas situps, start with crunches done right.

Johnny you are most welcome!

PS: Guys this is important! Once you are doing crunches well start the Frank R. Young Double crunche from IPR book!

Last edited by MikeNY; 04-10-2010 at 02:51 PM.

Share |

Banned

04-11-2010, 12:02 PM

One of my buddies reported in, had given him the same advice noted in this thread, he has a Beer belly, in his case a food belly, in a week is already up to 100 crunches a set and using TGT with crunches. I think the M7 stomach exercise did major preperation, he has been doing the Miracle 7 exercises for months! Has been doing the crunches less than a week; but readers he was already on the Miracle 7!

His major bragging rights is coming from using the old fashioned "pull your tummy in" and reports a major improvement in just days of doing that. I did wonder if it is the crunches are helping. Then came to realize that just holding your stomach in is an Isometric Hold and that alone would be a Multiplier of beniftis. Now he is going to start the Frank R. Young Double Crunche from the Magnificant 7. As noted he is doing the M7 and the Commander Set, reported he tried pushups and did 15 the first time. That is the M7 exercises at work!

Guys that are doing the Miracle 7 give yourself that 3 months to six months, left the M7 get you on the road and started! Then you can start crunches and FRY Double Crunches. Once you start that you are on the road to Miltary situps and then Atlas situps! All the best to you guys doing this! Would love to hear the results from the guys trying this!

Share |