Share |
Be an Apollo: Exercise in the Roman Legions and the Armies of Alexander

Author

04-29-2010, 09:58 PM

Hey Gordon,

I could not agree more. The first time that I ever read about Isometric Contraction in literature was when my Grandfather pointed it out to me in Les Miserables. He made it clear that there was no way that Victor Hugo had made it up as a literary device to explain Jean Val Jean's extraordinary physical strength. He was convinced that it was the ultimate strength building method that had been passed down for centuries and that Hugo was introduced to it by the man that he said he had modeled the Character of Jean Val Jean after.

Now let me address something else here. There are those that have the bright idea that Isometrics do not build muscular size and shape but just strength alone. That is ridiculous. Alexander Zass himself stated that he was feeling depressed when he realized what was happening to his musculature as a result of no exercise while he was imprisoned. However, after he started applying Isometric Contraction consistently he realized that he had far surpassed all of his previous strength and physique development while on limited prisoner of war rations and from then on Isometric Contraction became the strength and physique building method of choice for Alexander Zass.

---John Peterson

Share |

04-30-2010, 03:35 AM

just look at many of the ancient Greek sculptures - those guys were built, and they didnt have weight sets or machines. Obviously they knew something about training - and it was effective strength. The modern bodybuilder would have been laughed at.

Share |

04-30-2010, 05:52 AM

As usual with your posts, you have an interesting story or idea, which helps make this forum so great to visit. Your families' history, is very interesting.
Your ideas reinforce the teachings we hold most valuable from our mentor.
Thank you for once again sharing such entertaining knowledge.

Share |

04-30-2010, 12:49 PM

This is a great post! Thankis for the info!

Share |

05-01-2010, 12:54 PM

WOW!

What an interesting post!!

I like to read it!

Share |

05-01-2010, 09:17 PM

Over 40 years ago I came across a book titled "Tensioning" that featured DVR/DSR type exercises. I wish that I had purchased a copy of the book,however, with all of the moves and changes in my life I probably would have lost it anyway. The book stated that DVR/DSR type exercises were used by the Russian Aristocracy. The thought occurs to me that Rasputin could have used this type of exercise to develop the phenominal strength that made him so difficult to assassinate.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...731177,00.html

Last edited by Andy62; 05-01-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Share |

Banned

05-02-2010, 07:36 AM

Gordon we all would have loved to have seen that book. Makes me wonder, the Russian Nobles were one among the many groups that fought for the Emperor's of Constantinople, along with the Northmen (aka Vikings), Saxons, Germans, French, Spanish, Italians, Slavs (and all Europeans seeking fame and fortune) that served the Eastern Emperors as soldiers. Tensioning among the Russian Aristocracy might be a forerunner of Dynamic Tension, Isometrics and DVR/DSR exercises. We forget that Constantinople was almost a finishing school for soldiers until it's fall in 1453. Constantinople stood there along where Europe and Asia meet astride the trade route between East and West.

Share |

05-02-2010, 10:34 AM

Mike, "Tensioning" did not fully develop the idea beyond just mentioning it. It was acutally more of a soft cover training manual than it was a hard cover book. I have never been able to forget that statement, however. So many things in history have been developed from one statement like that or from information that may have been gathered from just one source. I am sure in past times people were just as biased as they are today. Beyond that everything must be built on deductive reasoning. History is full of hints of the interconnectedness of previous cultures- cocaine mummies in Egypt, blond haired blue eyed mummies in China etc. There is growing evidence that those trade routes were open and active far earlier than had previously been assumed. Trade routes were the internet and communication transmitters of their day,but they used oral tradition with few permanent records. Your following sentence says it all: "Constantinople stood there along where Europe and Asia meet astride the trade route between East and West."

Last edited by Andy62; 05-02-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Share |