The Best Way To Fix Chronic Back Pain

07-21-2009, 08:48 AM

Article

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competit...eb36/36-01.htm

Share |

Author

07-21-2009, 09:09 AM

hey Andy62,

That is one great article. I couldn't help but notice that The "Crunch While Pulling Knees to Chest" was right out of Swoboda as you well know. I think Swoboda was the very first to demonstrate Muscle Contraction of the Abdominals by using "the crunch". Anyway that is one great article and note that just as Swoboda taught strength building with only movements that decompressed the spine, that Atlas does exactly the same thing in this article. Notice the reverse dip that he demonstrates. It's abs, hips, and spinal decompression,

---John Peterson

Share |

07-21-2009, 09:57 AM

I believe all the afforementioned exercises will help prevent back problems. I'm less confident in their ability to cure; needtheless to say, proceed cautiously with 'em.

Share |

Legacy Member

07-21-2009, 11:55 AM

I agree with gruntbrain on the caution. Atlas situps and full range Atlas leg raises are great, but may require an extensive period of modification before they can be done as demonstrated. I also have found that the Tiger Stretch Pushups have an elongating effect on my spine. A version is mentioned in the Paul Bragg back care book. But, I also realize some, especially those over six feet, seem to have problems with this exercise.

BUT, having said all of that, if I had it all to do over again, I would have spent my first six months of Transformetrics training with McSweeney's Tiger moves only, with the addition of the Mule Flex, which is DVR, the exercise Gary mentioned, which can be practiced DVR, and a DVR side bend with hands clasped at the back of the head and with a limited range of motion.

To me, for someone busted up, the ideal progression would be DVR/VRT only for the first six months followed by the exercises in the Powerflex or PYTP programs, before I tried or attempted any of the harder variations of calisthenics such as the Tee's or tried to do high numbers. Because we have people ranging here from the athletic elite to those who are physically disable, I think sometimes we send out the wrong message as to what individuals need to be working towards at the beginning.

Last edited by Greg Newton; 07-21-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Share |

07-21-2009, 12:10 PM

Just a word of caution. I know two guys that have had back surgery. They are both in their early 50s. With one of them it worked OK and with the second one it didn't. The one where it didn't work has recurring pain and problems and is going to have to go back for more surgery. The back and the spinal column are very critical and very sensitve. I would suggest that if your doctor recommends surgery that you get a second opinion.

Share |

07-21-2009, 01:02 PM

I suffered with low back pain for years. Just over a year ago I went to a chiropractor, after receiving treatment over several weeks she told me that I now needed to strengthen my lower back, particularly my erector spinal muscles which she told me were often neglected my people when trying to strengthen their back.
The main exercise I chose was exercise 1 for erector spinal muscles in IPR. At first I took this very easy because I wanted to be sure I wouldn't do any damage. Any way as the days and weeks went by and by back started feeling stronger I developed more confidence. Three months later I went back to the Chiropractor for some more treatment and she commented that my spine was well aligned and she could tell how much stronger my back was. I put that solely down to that exercise from IPR.

Share |

07-21-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy62 View Post
I have never had a back problem,but I would bet that isometric dead lifts with the Isometric Power Belt would help.
Andy, I'm sorry to have to disagree with you on this one. I think the exercise you suggest actually compresses the spine, and, depending on the intensity, could actually be WORSE than actual deadlifting, because there is NO give. That would place all the strain directly on the lower spine.

Unfortunately, I made this mistake while doing exactly what you recommend. I felt a 'pop' and have had to really focus on decompressing my spine for the last year or so. I am just now getting to the point where I am mostly pain free, though I need to focus on stretching and loosening in the mornings.

I would also note that Hindu Squats can aggravate lower back problems too, so be careful with those in high numbers.

All the best,
Jake

Share |

Legacy Member

07-21-2009, 08:18 PM

Hey Jake,

Sorry to hear about your injury. If you don't mind me asking, how exactly were you doing the Isometric Deadlifts and what type of device were you using? I ask this because the behind the neck presses and the deadlifts I do with the Isobelt "seem" to have a decompressing effect on my spine and "seem" to lift my posture. I am curious as to the mechanics of your injury and if this is something I need to look out for.

Thanks,

Greg

Share |

07-21-2009, 08:33 PM

Jake, I am sorry if my suggestion didn't work for you. As I said I have not had any back problems,however, over the years I have had a lot of injuries from sports etc and I have found isometrics to be the most effective way of healing anything; atleast from my experience. Experiment around and see what works for you because we are all different. Good luck. Gordon

Share |

07-21-2009, 11:09 PM

Paul Anderson at 5'10" and 365 pounds could do multiple handstand pushups. He also could run a 100 yard dash in 11 seconds flat and do a standing leap on to a table. Body mass can also be accompanied by quick twitch fibers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muY0LmeMl9s

Share |