Share |
John, What do you mean by thinking into the muscles?

Author

03-06-2010, 04:01 PM

Hey Friends,

We have quite a number of new friends and one of them sent me an e-mail asking a very straight forward question, "John, What do you mean when you say to "think" into the muscles? I'm trying to understand exactly what you mean when you say that. You make it sound as though that is more important than the exercise itself. Please help me to understand." R.N.

Well friends, this is a great question and I have answered it before or variations of it. To answer it now I am going to use examples from Maxick's 1911 classic, "Muscle Control" and George Jowett's, "The Unrevealed Secrets of Man"

First Maxick,
HOW MECHANICAL EXERCISE MAY HINDER MUSCLE-DEVELOPMENT

"One day I was watching a journeyman filing metal. I fell to wondering vaguely why it was that his arm and deltoid development was so small in comparison with that of the rest of his body, knowing, as I did, that the man had worked at the bench for years. Surely, according to accepted theory, it was just these parts which should be the more developed considering the nature of his work!
I was so interested in this case that I began to take careful note of other workmen; and my observations at length convinced me that mechanical exercise will not increase bulk of strength beyond a certain degree.
I found out later by experiment that mechanical exercise will only produce good results if interest is directed to the muscles being used. If the mind is directed only to work being performed, a certain point of muscular resistance is reached; but there it stops. To secure full benefit from the exercise it is essential that the mind be concentrated on the muscles, and not on the work performed."

Maxick then related,
THE CASE OF THE STONEMASON

"Instances by way of example may be given by the hundred. Take the case of the stonemason, who has to use a hammer or mallet for many hours daily, during which thousands of blows are struck, and the shoulder and arm have to bear the weight, as well as use the mallet.
Now, according to the theories enunciated by many teachers of physical culture, the greater the number of repetitions performed of one exercise, the greater the development of the muscles employed. But here is a flat contradiction of these theories, for it will be observed that the majority of stonemasons do not evince anything exceptional in the way of arm and shoulder muscle development.
And the explanation? Perfectly simple! The stonemason’s mind is necessarily concentrated upon the work before him, and he pays little or no heed to his muscles."

Now lets consider George F. Jowett, In his book The Unrevealed Secrets of Man, which was published in 1928, Jowett stated the following, which is totally in sync with what Maxick stated above:

"Mental concentration is where thousands of bodybuilders fall; they fail to see the dividing line. Blindly they stagger about the road and fail to read the sign at the crossroads. Their case is a reminder of “the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.” You never saw a pitcher successfully curve a ball over the plate while arguing with the umpire. No, and you never saw a body culturist acquire the super state of physical manhood with movements that lacked pep and a mind filled with “Gee whiz, how soon will I be done?” They are like the youngster learning music with his eyes on the clock.
Practicing a movement a hundred times or thousand times will not get you anywhere, nor will pulling and hauling at a ton of iron. The more mental impulse you put behind an effort the less time is required. Movements become clockwork, too mechanical, and hauling a ton of metal is like praying to a bronze Buddha to hand you out a check for a million dollars."

OK, now we are back to me again,
So, what exactly do I mean by "Think into the Muscle?" I mean that you need to focus and concentrate on the muscles that you are working to develop and to intentionally feel each contraction and extension. It's all about complete and total awareness of both what are you doing and what it is you want to accomplish.

Bottomline: Performing any exercise without focused attention on what it is that you specifically want to accomplish will end up being an exercise in futility no matter how many repetitions you perform. More than anything else in Transformetrics it is the mind that develops the body. And the truth is, some people cannot and will not comprehend this. As a result they go from one exercise system to the next and the next and they never achieve anything with any of them. Why? In simplest terms (and this may read a little pedantic for me to say) they are not smart enough. End of story.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

03-06-2010, 04:32 PM

Here it is just Spring season for baseball and you already have a Grand Slam John!

Fantastic-this thread will help so many from the newbie to the seasoned vet!

It really is the defining point John of the Transformetrics System-the ability to visualize and think into the muscle.So much research now is backing up what we do here.

Great thread my brother!

peace,
jason

Share |

Author

03-06-2010, 06:10 PM

Hey Big Bear,

Thanks my friend. And it really is amazing how much research is validating what we have been teaching.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

03-06-2010, 07:10 PM

Excellent post John. I was going to write something tonight about "The Myth of Mindless Repetitons," but I will save it for another day, since it talks about the same thing.

Greg

Share |

03-06-2010, 07:25 PM

John, That is great. Here is more along the same line. Gordon

The reason this type of exercise is so superior is illustrated by the following quote by Swami Rama referring to the Isometric Power Flexing exercises in his book "Exercise Without Movement."

"The exercises in this book,however, are yoga practices with benefits far exceeding ordinary muscular movement. In these subtle exercises one visualizes muscles, respiration,senses, nervous system, and mind.....Exercise without movement, however,is a systematic method of exercise that allows the practitioner to travel along the pathways of action,from mind to muscle..... They are the preliminary steps to mastery of the autonomic nervous system. Most importantly, in these exercises one comes to experience the tremendous potential of the mind itself,and one makes the dramatic step inward through the layers of personality toward the Center of mind and consciousness."

Share |

Legacy Member

03-06-2010, 07:36 PM

AWESOME post John!

I'd like to see this thread become a sticky & mandatory reading for all Forum members.

Take care,
Steve

Share |

03-07-2010, 05:32 AM

Thank you Mr. Peterson,

This was an very important post, with an amazing explanation.
This is Transformetrics 101.

“The price of excellence is discipline. The cost of mediocrity is disappointment.” — William Arthur Ward

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Nathan

03-08-2010, 06:47 AM

Amazing post John! And I'm sure it's quite helpful for the beginners on the forum right now.

Jesus Christ

Share |

03-08-2010, 09:10 AM

John;

Great info - thanks!

A lot of people look at this type of exercise and ask "Is that all there is?"
But a THINKING person will say "That is all there is!". It's simple - but never easy.

The simplicity of putting your mind into an exercise sure beats the complexity of just going through the motions.

Jack

Share |

03-08-2010, 11:33 AM

I agree with others that this should be required reading. I have to admit that in the past i was very simpleminded when it came to working out (mostly just focusing on getting it over and done with rather than on what i wanted to get out it), but since reading M7 and coming here i have been getting FAR more out of my workouts.

Share |