Share |
G.U.T.S.: Assemble with Care

11-01-2010, 12:25 PM

When I am performing G.U.T.S., the only time I think of it as a "whole" is when I am deciding what I desire to accomplish in the workout (how many sets, how many reps per set, order of exercises, etc.,).

When I am in the midst of the workout, I consider every exercise (even portions of an exercise) as a whole.
For me, this divides the G.U.T.S. level 1 regimen into 24 workable pieces which I think about individually and exclusively when I am executing them.

50 WPTPU--3 pieces (20, 20, 10) all one set (count to 20, then 20, then 10)
75 ASU--3 pieces (25, 25, 25) all one set (count to 25X3)
25 TBS--1 piece (Tiger Bend Squat)
42 PS--1 piece (Power Step)
25 TBS--1 piece
42 PS--1 piece
25 TBS--1 piece
42 PS--1 piece
25 TBS--1 piece
42 PS--1 piece
25 TBS--1 piece
42 PS--1 piece
25 TBS--1 piece
42 PS--1 piece
75 ASU--3 pieces (25, 25, 25) all one set
50 WPTPU--3 pieces (20, 20, 10) all one set

Perhaps this mental discipline could be of help to someone working with G.U.T.S.

He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy. Proverbs 28:13

Share |

11-01-2010, 01:08 PM

I do a very similar thing, but instead of equal chunks, I do a decreasing ladder:

28 reps = 7,6,5,4,3,2,1

Granted you hafta add it up first and know what you're gonna count from, but sometimes I just get to a big number, take a short rest and then do 10, then 8, then 6, then 8, then 6 or whichever number of reps I can do as I'm working toward the total

It works for me.
"I do not prize the word cheap. It is not a badge of honor ... it is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country!" - President William McKinley (1843-1901)

Share |

Legacy Member

11-01-2010, 03:46 PM

Hey Tim,

That is actually a pretty good concept. Sometimes when doing 100's I break it down to four 25's or to three 35's (yeah I know that doesn't quite add up, but it makes the last sequence fly by.) If I can get that first quarter or third knocked out, I can go to the next one. By the time you get to the last sequence, you know you have it licked.

The last thing you ever want to do though is to look at the end from the beginning. That will kill your set quicker than anything. Especially if it is a day where you are having a hard time getting started.

Greg

Share |

11-02-2010, 09:14 AM

Greg,
Perhaps this mental exercise is something you might want to include in your book, R.A.W.

He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy. Proverbs 28:13

Share |

11-02-2010, 10:17 AM

I think it's a great technique, breaking the numbers down mentally can help with the physical burden.

“The price of excellence is discipline. The cost of mediocrity is disappointment.” — William Arthur Ward

Share |

11-02-2010, 05:14 PM

That reminds me of a trick my high school cross country coach used to tell us---to run just to the next lamppost or hill. In other words don't think of the whole distance but just the next little chunk and tackle that, then the next and the next, etc.

Share |

11-03-2010, 07:12 AM

Duff,
Exactly.
Just like a wonderful meal set before you which you eat one bite at a time, G.U.T.S. is a buffet for the body that can be savored one "bite" at a time.

Share |