Share |
Meeting Greg "The Hammer" Valentine

Legacy Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bennyb

10-23-2019, 04:59 PM

This past Saturday, me and some family went to a Comic Con here in Coeur D Alene, ID. It was pretty fun walking around and feeling out on some stuff but I ended up mostly getting caught up on meeting and talking with Greg The Hammer Valentine who was a guest celeb there.

Got an autograph and photo op that was actually reasonably priced. Asked him some stuff about his career and his matches with the likes of Rowdy Piper and Bob Backlund. He told me a Ric Flair story that was a bit surprising to me. Also talked about the contrast between Stu Hart (Of the Hart Dungeon fame) and Verne Gagne.

Training wise, I already knew he didn't train religiously like some of the guys but he was more of a weightlifter and his real form of cardio was going 60 min with guys for years. He still trains today just in a different capacity and still wrestles on a rare occasion.

I didn't get a bad vibe from him and it was good meeting him. He's only the 2nd pro Wrestler I had the opportunity to meet next to Undertaker which was 23 years ago. Got to hold the Belt he won back in the 80s and had some laughs. Overall, he was just mellow and loved to talk about the business.

It was a fun day despite the heavy rain and seeing my family happy getting cool stuff.

I wrote an article about my time there which you can check out here.....http://powerandmight.blogspot.com/20...ntine.html?m=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191019_122611_857-750x750-300x300.jpg (71.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191023_153412127-750x1000-300x400.jpg (94.0 KB, 8 views)

Share |

Author

10-24-2019, 04:59 PM

Hello BennyB,

Back in the 1980s I saw Greg Valentine wrestle several times at the St. Paul Civic Center and what you said about him being a weight lifter was obviously true BUT he was also a very capable wrestler.

It was back in the mid-1980s that he wrestled for the WWF.

It's also interesting that you bring up Verne Gagne because prior to becoming a WWF Superstar Hulk Hogan wrestled here in Minneapolis for Verne Gagne's AWA. I don't think that Greg Valentine ever wrestled for the AWA but he might have. It was the WWF that ended up putting the AWA out of business.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

10-24-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Hello BennyB,

Back in the 1980s I saw Greg Valentine wrestle several times at the St. Paul Civic Center and what you said about him being a weight lifter was obviously true BUT he was also a very capable wrestler.

It was back in the mid-1980s that he wrestled for the WWF.

It's also interesting that you bring up Verne Gagne because prior to becoming a WWF Superstar Hulk Hogan wrestled here in Minneapolis for Verne Gagne's AWA. I don't think that Greg Valentine ever wrestled for the AWA but he might have. It was the WWF that ended up putting the AWA out of business.

---John Peterson

John,

Yeah he was extremely capable, more than some guys give him credit for. He often went 60 minutes in that era but was more methodical and wanted to tell a story in the ring more than just seeing the "competitive" side of it. He wrestled for the WWE back in the late 70s as well for McMahon Sr. Pitting him against Bob Backlund in a series of matches including a 60 min draw. Gagne and McMahon would exchange wrestlers from time to time for their respective territories between AWA and WWWF, Verne did on occasion wrestle with those exchanges but on extremely rare occasions. Greg didn't wrestle for AWA full time I think and wrestled mainly in the NWA, WWE, WCW and other territories except Mid South which he told me himself.

Hogan was in the AWA but for only a few years and that's where Hulkamania really was born but Verne didn't understand what he had and him and Hogan had a massive falling out that involved contracts and cashing in on merchandise. the Iron Shiek even had said that Verne hated Hogan for what he did and Verne told Sheik to break Hogan's leg during the big match they had when Hogan won the WWF Title from him and double cross the promotion. If sheik had done that, Hulkamania wouldn't have been as big as it became at that time.

Share |

Legacy Member

10-27-2019, 10:29 AM

You are looking good Benny. You look like you are posing next to your grandfather. Valentine has not aged well.
Those wrestlers take a beating.

Tim

Share |

Legacy Member

10-27-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimK View Post
You are looking good Benny. You look like you are posing next to your grandfather. Valentine has not aged well.
Those wrestlers take a beating.

Tim

Lol, the irony is, my parents are the same generation as him. They only beat him by a year or 2. Yeah they do but the sad thing is, he's outlived the majority of who has worked with and many of the generations after him.

Share |