Share |
Same Philosphy Different Approach

Author

04-22-2019, 12:56 PM

Hello Friends,

In so many ways Alois P Swoboda and George Jowett were totally in sync in terms of training philosophy.

The top quote is how Swoboda described Physiological Exercise or 'Swobodaism' in his own literature. Below it, you will read George Jowett's philosophy. You'll see that in terms of the objective to be accomplished, they were very much 'in sync'. The only real difference was that Jowett used weights while Swoboda did not think they were necessary.

Quote:
Swoboda Quote:
"When nineteen years of age, I was very weak and debilitated. The fact that my father died of consumption five years previous, and the warning of my friends that I would follow the same route, caused me to look toward exercise as a means of building up my health and strength. I began the study of anatomy for the location, functions, and relations of all the muscles. I studied physiology to find the physiological effect of exercise; why exercise caused development, and the effect of different modes of exercise. I soon found that the use of heavy weights was the speediest rout to development. But I also found that the use the weights checked the capillary circualtion, thereby increasing the pressure in the arteries, consequently placing an undue strain on the heart. Since, however, the use of weights caused a rapid development of the muscles and the willpower and at the same time overtaxed the heart, it occurred to me that if I could find a means by which the muscles could be offered the same resistance as by the use of weights (and still not use weights), that I could gain as much muscle, will power and vital force in as short a time, and not overtax the heart, which is unavoidable when weights are used.

"In studying anatomy I soon noticed that while all moveable parts of the body had muscles to move them one way, they also had muscles to move them back again. it then occurred to me that to use one muscle to offer resistance to another would cause the same development as the use of weights to offer resistance, but with alternate contractions and relaxations, would help the venous circulation and instead of obstructing the circulation in the capillaries, would help the blood in the course towards the heart, thereby resting the heart. Therefore, the alternate contractions and relaxations of one muscle under h influence of a stimulus (will power) to antagonize another is the principle of my system of physiological exercise. ALOIS P SWOBODA"

George Jowett Quote:

Quote:
Mental concentration is where thousands of bodybuilders fall; they fail to see the dividing line. Blindly they stagger about the road and fail to read the sign at the crossroads. Their case is a reminder of “the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.” You never saw a pitcher successfully curve a ball over the plate while arguing with the umpire. No, and you never saw a body culturist acquire the super state of physical manhood with movements that lacked pep and a mind filled with “Gee whiz, how soon will I be done?” They are like the youngster learning music with his eyes on the clock.

Practicing a movement a hundred times or thousand times will not get you anywhere, nor will pulling and hauling at a ton of iron. The more mental impulse you put behind an effort the less time is required. Movements become clockwork, too mechanical, and hauling a ton of metal is like praying to a bronze Buddha to hand you out a check for a million dollars.

Weight lifting is a sport like baseball or swimming. Your mind is centered on raising the object. In this take a lesson from the men who have acquired the most fame in feats of strength. They never used heavy weights, but dumb-bells light enough to supply them a certain amount of resistance, that did not interfere with their mental concentration. Likewise, they did not harness a set number of repetitions to each exercise, they allowed their physical condition to be the guide. As they became stronger the dumb-bells were increased slightly in weight, but never exceeded 25 pounds each. Not even for the huge muscles that form the broad of the back, or the quadriceps femoris-four head muscle-that comprises the bulk of the thigh. The success of their methods is proved by the marvelous demonstrations of strength they are capable of and by the beauty of their lordly body. As Coolidge put it, "It is not enough to teach men science; the greatest thing is to teach them how to use science."

The science of bodybuilding is the science of concentration between mind and muscle.

Bottom line: If you want to use weights, George Jowett's philosophy will protect you from a lot of wear and tear and enhance your results because you will then be focused on the contraction of the muscles themselves just as Alois P Swoboda taught.

---John Peterson

Share |

04-25-2019, 06:37 AM

Thank you, John. This is an interesting comparison which makes sense.

Did you find the second quote in Jewetts book "Key to Might and Muscle" or another publication?

Share |

Author

04-25-2019, 01:39 PM

Hello Upshur74,

The quote is from "The Unrevealed Secrets of Man".

The key to everything is to learn to apply direct thought to whatever endeavor you are doing and to that end NOTHING compares to properly applied Isometric Contraction if the goal is to be ultra-lean, hard, and to maintain ageless strength and fitness...Isometrics properly applied will keep you lean, strong and injury free. Yet, so few people know about isometrics or how they are applied.

Example: I met a very kind and well-meaning man yesterday that spends 60 minutes each day on an elliptical machine at a franchised exercise studio. He is 47 years old, diabetic has a huge pot belly, sunken chest, and spindly arms. He was a repair technician at my office fixing one of the printers. I met him when I was asked to come down and sign the work order. His first words were, "My Lord, look at you. Where do you workout?" My response was, "Wherever I am." He then asked, "What do you do to be in that kind of shape?" I told him, "Isometrics mostly." He literally asked me, "What is that?" I realized that he did not know what Isometric Contraction is. When he asked how long I work out I told him that I train for 15 to 20 minutes daily with Isometrics and that I also do Iso-Dynamic Interval Training of my own design. "You look like someone could light a match on you," he said. That made me laugh. I then took a few minutes to show him a few exercises. I could see that he was awed and then he asked: "How much cardio do you do?" I was getting a kick out of him and I said follow me. I put on a 32-pound weight vest and then said, "Watch and count," and I then did a set of 100 Atlas Balance Squats with the 32-pound weight vest in 4-minutes and change. When I was finished I said, "That's my idea of cardio." I could tell that he was really eager to know more and I gave him a copy of 'Miracle Seven'. Then and there he wanted to buy a copy of Isometric Power Revolution and also wants the new Power Belt and Course the moment I release them.

I'm mentioning the above because I really believe that properly applied Isometric Contraction can help people lose a great deal of excess fat while simultaneously building muscle.

---John Peterson

Share |

04-25-2019, 03:24 PM

So many are brainwashed into thinking cardio is the be all end all but in realty it just makes a guy or lady look like death. Without strength training its a dead end road and a disaster on health.

I see it often and the old runners who do strength training 2 to 3 times a week look better and tell me they run less with better results.

I also get compliments and tell people I do isometrics and body weight stuff and then tell them I spend only about 45 min a day and they look at me like I'm lying.

I showed a guy in CA wall sits with feet elevated and lunge holds and Push up holds. He sill lifts weights and his bench has gone up 40% since doing these iso body weight exercises.

He is going to buy a belt and watching this website for the day it goes on sale along with some others.

The belt has transformed me and abs are now showing which has always been a problem area. Looking forward to ordering a few belts to get my wife using it and a friend. More cut and more size.

Monty

Share |