Share |
World's Strongest Man "Forget Dead Lifts"

Author

07-10-2019, 11:52 AM

Hello Everyone,

I was talking to a close friend and he told me about a video clip of Joe Rogan's featuring Robert Oberst who is among the world's Strongest men if not "THE STRONGEST MAN". I got a kick out of my friend telling me, "It's a great clip John, but he uses language a minister wouldn't want to hear." I laughed and told him, "Tom, c'mon, I've heard those words before and there was a time in my own life that I used to use them quite often. So don't worry about it."

Anyway friends, It IS a great interview and Robert Oberst uses the "F" word in such a way that you can see that it is just a standard part of his vocabulary and he is not the least bit aware of what he is saying and he is clearly not trying to be vulgar. He actually had me laughing with the way he was talking. He was just being straight from the shoulder. Let me also say that at 400 pounds this guy is one of the most massively developed human beings on the planet. I can't remember seeing traps that huge on anybody. And for what it's worth, in my opinion, those guys that compete in this competition that tests strength from every conceivable angle really are the world's strongest men. The levels of chemicals these guys use must be unreal.

Anyway--Here is the clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWizDhYjGsc

Oberst tells Rogan not to deadlift and states that it messes up more weight lifters and athletes than just about anything else.

This brings up a point. The only way that You can Deadlift to your maximum in absolute safety is with the Power Belt. With the Iso-Power Belt, you can literally pull up with just as much intensity as if you had actual weight BUT You do not have gravity pulling back. As a result, you can go to your maximum in 100% safety. I even have a friend that surpassed his best deadlift by breaking the 400-pound barrier and he didn't do deadlifts with weights for over six months. He just did power belt deadlifts and then started testing himself with a friend. He had never broken 400 pounds prior to that lift.

---John Peterson

Share |

07-13-2019, 08:35 PM

I think this is one reason Kim Wood preferred high reps. He wasn't a huge fan of DL compared to squats or other leg movement, didn't like to see his players going for max weights with them and wanted nothing less than 20 rep sets with DL. It was more of a conditioning movement and less of a strength movement.

With ISO metrics one of the big benefits is that unless you do isometric deadlifts with a bar ala Bob Hoffman - and I wouldn't recommend that - you get to line up the resistance more with your center of gravity and remove some stress from the low back and put more on the legs similar to what a trap bar dl would do.

The other big plus of the iso deadlift is if at any moment something doesn't feel right you can immediately release the tension with no risk to yourself.

An there are other reasons the college and nfl strength coaches push the OLY lifts. They believe that these are quick lifts and teach explosiveness and acceleration speed. Deadlift is a tow truck lift. Pure strength, no athleticism required.

I don't necessarily agree with the strength coaches vis a vis Oly lifts and athletes. Your best athletes are typically going to be your best OLY lifters because they have nervous systems geared toward the expression of power, which by the way is the same quality that allows one to excel at the Oly lifts. Oly lifts might massage that capability and improve it slightly, but you can't turn a tow truck into a ferrarl. If you have slow strength you will never be the athlete that someone with the same build as you has, but that was blessed with better genetics as it comes to ability to contract muscle quicker.

That is the reason just about any construction worker can do well at Powerlifting, but far fewer can do well at Oly lifting and the same reason the US sucks in general at Oly lifting. All of our athletes with the best potential to shine in the Olympics are getting $$$ in the NFL and have no desire to Oly lift instead of play football. It really is countries that have no $$$ sports to suck away the Oly talent that field good Oly lifting teams. US is not and probably never will be that.

Share |

Author

07-14-2019, 12:10 PM

Hello Ware,

Those are some great observations. When I was discussing the Olympic lifts with Jack King he told me that he had discussed the Isometric application to Olympic lifts with Lou Riecke on many occasions and that it was the fact that as one masters Isometric Contraction he is activating and teaching more of his muscle fibers to contract at maximum intensity simultaneously that made it such an advantageous method for Olympic Lifters. It was while Riecke was training on Isometrics and Dianabol that he was made his world record snatch of 325 pounds at a bodyweight of 181 pounds in 1964.

---John Peterson

Share |