Share |
Find Your Own Best Schedule

Author

09-11-2019, 10:45 AM

Hello Friends,

I received an e-mail from a man that follows our forum daily but that says he cannot post on it from his computer.

Anyway, he said that he's been reading my posts about weight vest training and that for me to say that I no longer perform high volume exercise seems less than realistic because if I am doing 100 reps daily with a weight vest that 100 reps IS HIGH VOLUME. So his question is: "Please tell me what constitutes high Volume as opposed to low Volume workouts.

Answer: he really does have a point and I think it depends on the individual. For example, if you were used to doing high volume Atlas push-Ups in the hundreds of reps each day and you decided to put on a weight vest and instead performed 8 sets of 8 repetitions or 10 sets of 10 repetitions as was advocated as a sort of shock therapy to jump start further development as was advocated by Vince Gironda in some of his writings you would certainly be doing High Volume Strength Training by comparison to your previous training due to the change in intensity of each repetition.

Here's the point. There are lots of different Rep, Set and Frequency guidelines that one can look into and decide for themselves. There is one other thing that I will mention right here. The man that sent me the e-mail also sent me a study produced by a university that stated 3 sets of 6 to 8 reps is the most result producing program for most trainees that train with weights and machines and was more productive than performing sets of repetitions up 12 reps per set so he asked why would that not also be true as applies to all forms of strength training whether it it be with weights, machines, surgical rubber tubing, weight vest or even free hand calisthenics.

My response, try it for yourself and document what happens. Sets of 6 to 8 reps soon becomes too easy for body weight trainers so that would necessitate that one perform Super Slow or Weight Vest Training to make the exercises far more intense. BUT if YOU can get better results by training your muscles with 3 sets of 6 to 8 repetitions then certainly you should do it. It's that simple. you don't have to justify anything to anyone. Find your own personal formula and go with it.

In my case I used to do 500 push-ups or more everyday (often between 700 and 1,000) BUT increasing the intensity of each repetition has proven to be a smart move for me personally as will be obvious in some of the pictures in my new courses.

---John Peterson

Share |