Share |
Contacted By MMA Fighter

Author

10-07-2019, 03:30 PM

Hello Everyone,

On Saturday I met with a 28-year-old young man that had trained at a Mixed Martial Arts Training Camp in Iowa and who appears to be in fantastic shape. Unfortunately, looks can be very deceiving and he told me that he had injured himself quite severely in training and is still on the long road to complete recovery more than a year and a half later. His question was whether or not Isometrics could help. As we discussed his injuries he told me that he and many of his friends had been injured in much the same way. In his case, he tore oblique and core muscles and simultaneously hurt his back.

As I listened it became very obvious to me that the big issue was not the intensity of the training exercises alone (although he should have been handling a fraction of the weight he said he was using in Sandbag Training which was 60 lbs) that was responsible for his injury but much more the lack of recovery time when training at that level of intensity.

The more I listened to him the more I thought about my conversations with John McSweeney (and how brilliant the man really was) and why he believed that his Tiger Moves training exercises were vastly superior to other methods for the purpose of maintaining highly functional training strength. The primary reason being that the intensity of the Tiger Tension Training exercises could be adjusted instantly from Ultra intense to ultra-light while doing the same exercises each day. I KNOW that John was 100% correct in his assertions. John himself was his own best advertisement for the effectiveness of Tiger Moves. In fact, he developed them specifically for the purpose of preventing injury while enhancing strength and flexibility which is exactly what they accomplished.

Here is the point, it really is best to train every day BUT you need to follow ultra-intense days with very easy days in which the primary objective is to flood the muscles with highly oxygenated blood and to deliver healing nutrients to the bodies tissues. It does not matter who you are, there is only so much healing energy that your body has each and every day and the truth is that every individual has a need to discover that prescribed level for himself. Personally, I do not think that one's strength and fitness training should ever be a competition but there are those whose sole ambition is to dominate in mixed martial arts or whatever else they are trying to do and I can certainly understand their desire to achieve superhuman strength and fitness. One way that Tiger Moves are vastly superior to weight training exercises is that they can be performed at maximum muscular intensity without ever putting the spine under compression and thereby limit delivery of NERVE FORCE or healing nutrients.

AND YES!!! YOU are ALL welcome to your own opinions.

---John Peterson

Share |

Author

10-07-2019, 05:54 PM

Hello Everyone,

The first person to actually describe how the method was to be performed through directed will-power was Alois P Swoboda. This is what he stated in his advertorial describing 'Physiological Exercise' which was name Swoboda Coined for the method.

Quote:
"When nineteen years of age, I was very weak and debilitated. The fact that my father died of consumption five years previous, and the warning of my friends that I would follow the same route, caused me to look toward exercise as a means of building up my health and strength. I began the study of anatomy for the location, functions, and relations of all the muscles. I studied physiology to find the physiological effect of exercise; why exercise caused development, and the effect of different modes of exercise. I soon found that the use of heavy weights was the speediest route to development. But I also found that the use of the weights checked the capillary circulation, thereby increasing the pressure in the arteries, consequently placing an undue strain on the heart. Since, however, the use of weights caused a rapid development of the muscles and the willpower and at the same time overtaxed the heart, it occurred to me that if I could find a means by which the muscles could be offered the same resistance as by the use of weights (and still not use weights), that I could gain as much muscle, will power and vital force in as short a time, and not overtax the heart, which is unavoidable when weights are used.

"In studying anatomy I soon noticed that while all moveable parts of the body had muscles to move them one way, they also had muscles to move them back again. It then occurred to me that to use one muscle to offer resistance to another would cause the same development as the use of weights to offer resistance, but with alternate contractions and relaxations, would help the venous circulation and instead of obstructing the circulation in the capillaries, would help the blood in the course towards the heart, thereby resting the heart. Therefore, the alternate contractions and relaxations of one muscle under the influence of a stimulus (will power) to antagonize another is the principle of my system of physiological exercise. ALOIS P SWOBODA"

---John Peterson

Last edited by John Peterson; 10-08-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Share |

Legacy Member

10-08-2019, 04:40 AM

Hey John,

This is one of the main reasons I've been a big fan of the Tacfit System. Recovery and flow are the main focus, which for the long term is key for your health.

The basic model for the system is a 4 day Cycle.
Day 1: No Intensity ( Mobility and Compensation exercises)
Day 2: Low Intensity ( same Exercises as Day 1, Higher intensity)
Day 3: Moderate Intensity ( 20 minutes of Various body weight style ex. utilizing various things kettle bell, etc.)
Day 4: High Intensity ( True HITT, 20 min all out ) but the same exercises used on Day 3.

Every Day has Mobility and compensation exercises built into them, and the level of intensity is based on your Heart Rate so there is no room for speculation.

This Model works no matter what exercises you are using, ISO's, Dynamic ISO's, Body weight, Sandbag, Kettle Bell, Club Bell, ISO Belts....

Recovery is extremely important, you can't go at 100% all the time your just defeating the purpose.

I've been doing the Atlas Perpetual Lessons going on 2 weeks now which I've never done, and I've already noticed a huge change, and I have been utilizing this idea of varying the intensity across the morning and evening, and the days....

btw... I'm really sad I never tried the Atlas model before ( morning, evening, train not strain) brilliant!

Share |

Author

10-09-2019, 05:36 PM

Hello gbjj,

The Atlas Perpetual Lesson does a nice job of covering all the bases. It simultaneously balances, stretches and strengthens the entire body synergistically. I perform it daily in low volume with a Weight Vest.

---John Peterson

Share |

10-13-2019, 04:36 PM

What makes me a bit unsure about the Tiger Moves and other DVRs is that both Charles Atlas and John McSweeny had heart problems and died of them (if I am properly informed). As far as I know there are also concerns in Karate with the so-called "Sanchin Katas" (=high tension movements) that they could be bad for the heart and blood pressure. Since I'm convinced that DVRs deliver great results and make me feel extremely well (physically and psychologically) I would be interested in your opinion.

Share |

Legacy Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bennyb

10-13-2019, 06:39 PM

If one does have high blood pressure or has a history of it, I would be careful about it. I stopped doing DVRs quite some time ago cause I tend to get bored and being bored is no fun. If they work for some people, that's great and continue to do so. When it comes to building cardio, I prefer step ups or Hindu Squats. Doing them in the high rep range in a workout is an incredible heart builder but alas one should still be cautious about heart related issues.

You can work around certain things but with a lesser amount of intensity. Train accordingly and work within your level, it's the easiest thing to say and experiment with what can work.

Share |