Share |
Dr. John Jaquish and His Method

Author

01-25-2020, 12:24 PM

Hello Friends,

On another thread a man was taking a swipe at Dr. John Jaquish (who happens to be a man that I highly admire) and his H.I.T. System of exercise. He rightly identified that Dr. Jaquish is not the only man to use resistance bands but he is wrong in the sense that way Dr, Jaquish has designed the only resistance band training system that I have seen that totally replaces weights and allows for a man to go to maximum fatigue in complete safety. At least I personally have not seen anything that comes close to the combination of intensity and safety that Jaquish's method puts into play.

I think Jaquish's System might be the answer for a large number of people.

Number One, Dr Jaquish has had the specific bands his system uses created to a standard of quality that is not generally available at least not that I have ever seen and I have known alot of men that had the bands they use to snap.

Number Two: The bar as well as the bands is what makes the system unique. I have a brother in law that purchased the X 3 System and based on the movements I have seen it literally replaces an entire gym of free weights and machines by allowing you to exercise the entire musculature with just 4-Key exercises in each workout that lasts just 10 to 15 minutes. Believe me, if you follow what Jaquish teaches you'll achieve the max in just 10 to 15 minutes.

Number Three: Due to the uniqueness of the resistance curve provided by the bands one can take each exercise to a point of maximum fatigue safely without the consequences of spinal compression or over taxing the tendons and ligaments that often happens when one is using weights that require "cheating or bodily momentum" in order to get moving. It is the fact that the weights remain the same throughout the entire range of movement and that when the muscles have been fatigued beyond a certain point that more and more of the resistance is transferred to the connective tissues that become over taxed and eventually become the source of chronic injury as happened to Jack King and others that I have known.

Number Four: The only other way that I know of to achieve the maximum level of contraction safely without putting yourself in harms way would be with the Isometric Power Belt that allows you to go to maximum contraction for extraordinary increases in strength at every angle that Isometric Contraction is applied. The only ISSUE with the belt is that you will not achieve the kind of "Pump" you'll get `with Dr. Jaquish's 1-set to maximum fatigue. With the belt one needs to use additional Iso-Dynamic Muscle Control Exercises to achieve a great pump. That is my preference and is what I teach. BUT if you have the money and desire Dr. Jaquish has created a system that allows for maximum benefit as relates to building muscle tissue with a level of safety that you will never have if you were to try and accomplish it with weights and you certainly couldn't do workouts to the max for 10-minutes the way Dr. Jaquish teaches without experiencing serious issues with spinal compression and connective tissue injuries.

Finally, I have read and understood for years the concept of H.I.T., In fact that is exactly what Jack King was doing twice each week with his Push-Up routine going to a hundred or more reps in each and every set to the point of maximum fatigue and then repeating it 10 times or more to achieve 1,000 or more reps in each workout. I utilize the same concept with the Power Belt so that you can achieve maximum strength and maximum pump for body sculpting.

Bottom line: Dr Jaquish's X 3 is a great method if you have the money and don't need the camaraderie of other men at a gym.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

01-26-2020, 03:36 PM

Maybe I'm missing something. But, it sounds like ware is saying the bands would be more dangerous than weights. If so, I wholeheartedly disagree.

As a former weight lifter, I know first hand how easy it can be to attempt to lift an amount greater than I was capable of. I never tried to go REALLY heavy. So, for me, the result was only a mild tendonitis. But, if I had pushed too much, the result could have been much worse We simply try for more than we should, and suffer the consequences.

I've also used various bands over the years. The worst that happened was that I couldn't do the full movement of a given exercise. Now, if I had really pushed it, I may have strained a muscle and had to back off for a couple of days.

Aside from letting a band "snap" back, I don't think any strain from bands would be as harmful as what I could do with weights.

Rob

Share |

Legacy Member

01-27-2020, 08:58 AM

I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Rob

Share |

Author

01-27-2020, 12:51 PM

Ware,

You are flat out WRONG on this because when using heavy weights you have a specific amount on the bar and the gravitational effect of that weight is constantly pulling down. If you are using 300 pounds for example on the squat that 300 pounds is there from the beginning of the movement all the way to the end of the movement and remains there and constant the entire time. For example, back in the 1970s, I saw my friend Bryant squat more than 400 pounds for 23 consecutive reps and that weight was constant the entire time. In the course of time (several years) Bryant lost more than 2 inches in height due to the compression.

With the band system that Dr. Jaquish offers, at the beginning of the movement (regardless of which exercise you are doing), there is comparatively little resistance and it increases gradually the further, the bands are stretched. There is no weight (gravitational pull) involved that is constantly pulling down. The resistance constantly changes with the greatest amount of resistance at the top (end) of a squat for example and the same would be true of a deadlift or any other exercise. The resistance starts light and can become very intense at the end but then as you reverse direction it begins to immediately lessen and become less and less 'Tension'until you're back to the starting point where there is little resistance. So regardless of movement you start light and take it as far as the tension in the band provides resistance. It immediately begins to decrease the moment you change direction. Again, there is very little compression compared to having weight resistance that is constant throughout an entire movement and that never eases.

The resistance provided by resistance bands is created by muscle tension only that is working against the 'tension' the bands provide that constantly changes. The same is true when training the muscles with Isometric resistance that is created by the muscle tension of trying to move a resistance that is completely stationary. Again, there is zero compression caused by weight that is constantly pulling down and yet one can take it to the point where one is applying 100% intensity in complete safety with NO COMPRESSION caused by that same and constant gravitational pull straight down. For this reason, one can achieve maximum development in 100% safety without having to have spotters. Take the Chest Press for example. With Dr. Jaquish's system, you are activating the same muscle groups as the bench press but there is zero compression of the shoulder joint at the beginning compared to the continuous and constant gravitational pull downward that is unavoidable when using hundreds of pounds that puts the shoulder joint capsule under great strain. Again, with the resistance bands, it starts with very light tension that then peaks at a certain point and then immediately starts to lessen as one reverses direction.

BUT NOW LET ME ADDRESS THE TRUTH. There is something else going on here and that something is that you are showing up just to disagree with whatever I have to say but since I know my science it does not bother me in the least. WARE YOU made a big deal about leaving SO why not do everyone here including YOURSELF a big favor by leaving permanently. Believe me, I'm not going after guys like you so why does a guy like you think it's important to show up here just for the sake of disagreement. Go to some other forum and be with like-minded people like yourself. You didn't see me trying to keep you.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

01-28-2020, 09:39 AM

Thank you for clarifying that John.

Your post is what my thoughts were.

Obviously, there is a chance of injury doing any resistance exercise, if you ignore danger signs and push forward.

However, there’s more of a tendency to do so with weights. As men, we tend to want to “push” to do more, and that often means less than safe techniques. I don’t see the same happening with bands.

Rob

Share |

Legacy Member

02-07-2020, 02:35 PM

John:

I had a thought, and wanted your opinion:

I like Dr. Jaquish's concepts and his protocols. He takes the idea of High Intensity Training and makes it safer by the use of his bands. Other authors who also advocate HIT talk about Time Under Tension as being a key element to encourage the metabolic changes that creates improvement. The number I usually read is 90 seconds per set. And like Dr. Jaquish, only one set, because anything more would be too exhausting.

My thought was this: You perform five or six exercises, using the Solytrain Protocol of 5-6-7. Would it make sense to perform five or six exercises, with a 30 second hold in three different positions, for a total of 90 seconds.

The major drawback I see would be such a protocol would be very taxing on the CNS, so it could not be done daily. But it would certainly create that anabolic state to increase strength and decrease fat.

Your Thoughts?

Thank you

Manny

Share |

Author

02-07-2020, 03:32 PM

Hello Manny,

Let me say that I am honored that you would ask but there is a more important factor at work with what Dr. Jaquish is presenting than what you mention here:

Quote:
"Other authors who also advocate HIT talk about Time Under Tension as being a key element to encourage the metabolic changes that creates improvement."

I personally do not believe that time under tension is nearly as important as the extraordinary infusion of highly oxygenated blood that Dr. Jaquish's method delivers relative to achieving maximum 'hypertrophy'.

It's the combination of pump and intensity that Jaquish's method delivers that makes it possible.

In terms of achieving maximum fat loss and muscle density that is where the Isometric Power Power Belt delivers exceptional results. Upper Body (Day One) Lower Body (Day Two) and alternate.

But the truth is that in order to get maximum Hypertrophy as well as the Strength from the Isometric Power Belt that is where Push-Up is key for infusing blood into the muscle tissue. I want to remind you that Jack King achieved the best physique of his life (In his own words) as the result of his High Volume Push-Up Program performed twice weekly on Wednesday and Saturday achieving 1,000 or more reps on those 2 days. But get this, when he won the Masters Mr. America in 1997 at age 61 he weighed 160 pounds at 5'10". In order for a man to achieve the outstanding mass that Dr. Jaquish has achieved I'm certain that it requires more than just the exercise component. BUT I do believe that he accomplishes it in 10 to 15 minutes each day just as he states.

---John Peterson

Share |

Legacy Member

02-07-2020, 04:25 PM

John:

I really appreciate your replying so quickly. Yes, on another thread you did write that you need both the isometrics as well as reps in order to achieve full development of strength and hypertrophy. If I recall, you mentioned pushups and the Tiger moves. That makes sense.

I have my order in and I know Living Strength will detail the protocol, but I'm guessing you would perform the isometric first and then the pushups or Tiger Moves? I own pretty much everything you've ever written, so I'll find my copies and give it a go.

Thank you again

Manny

Share |